Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

More 338 EDGE advice please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2012, 03:02 PM
Silver Member

More 338 EDGE advice please

I had my 338 edge built in the spring and right away I found that using a 300 gr berger and a 3.825" MBE-3 box magazine COAL of 3.785" I was gonna have a .313" jump to the lands.

Accuracy is erratic, some phenominal groups under .25" @100 yds and some groups out to 1.5" or so. Unfortunatly more groups out to 1.5 were the norm and seemed to hold true out to 700 yards.

I thought it was maybe a paralax problem so i upgraded my scope/rings and bases. It now wears a Nightforce 5.5-22 NP-R1, Vortex(Seekins) rings and a talley base.

For a proper cheek weld I bought a tactical strap on bag and built up a layerd foam insert until my cheek weld felt good.

None of this helped.

I contacted the company that built the rifle and they said send it back with detailed directions on how exactly I want it set up and they will take care of it no charge.

As i can see it I have many options on how to set this rifle up and possible make it more consistant.

NOT IN ANY PARTICULAR ORDER

1.) Forget the internal box and hunt with it as a single shot
Not my favorite option

2.) Keep the MBE-3 box and have the barrel set back. Set the chamber up for a 3.785 COAL and a .050 jump to the lands.

Not a bad option, I like the stainless double stack box, but with a secant ogive this makes for a short throat an limits future bullet changes. With this COAL most bullets are already pushed deep into the case, a change to a tangent ogive bullet would put the bullet even further in the case. I mocked up a few other brands of bullets and it isn't terrible but they are short.
With the short COAL any jump less than .050 would certainly make it a one bullet wonder IMO.

3.) Install a Wyatt CFE-9 box, a new COAL of 3.99 and try and make a .108" jump to the lands work...

Still no room to work forward if it doesn't improve consistancy.
A little concerned how the rifle will feed and eject, spent and unspent cartridges. Not sure if I can top load with this mag box or have to bottom load the mag.

4.)Install a wyatt CFE-9 3.99" mag box, and have the barrel set back to put a 300 gr OTM tactical touching the lands at the new 3.99 COAL

Probably my first choice and in fact was how I wanted them to set it up in the first place but apparently my directions didn't get passed on to the guy setting the throat, just ran the reamer they had in and called it a day!!!
Will allow for more room for bullet experiment. Lots of room to work back from the lands
A little concerned how the rifle will feed and eject, spent and unspent cartridges. Not sure if I can top load with this mag box or have to bottom load the mag. Don't like the non stainless makeup of the box.

Of course I'm open to other recommendations.

Thanks in advance for your advice
Old 09-29-2012, 11:04 PM
Gold Member

Re: More 338 EDGE advice please

I would run it as a single shot, for long range it is plenty easy enough to drop another round in. It really won't hurt anything and your rounds pushed down into mag often get the bullets tips beat up and deformed. With a single shot this won't happen.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:28 PM
Platinum Member

First thing is to quit shooting at 100 yards. It's pretty well known that these big heavy bullets need some distance to settle down.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:13 PM
Silver Member

Unless your flinching or a bad shot you should only need one round to do the job , No need for the 2nd shot , One and done . Just use it as a single shot , it will make you concentrate more to make the first shot count. The big heavy bullet will take care of the rest.....
Old 09-30-2012, 05:35 PM
Gold Member

I would shoot singal shot but at .050 off the lands to see how it groups at 200 or300 yds. Then if you hit the sweat spot set the barrel back.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:19 AM
Silver Member

forget the Berger and switch to the Nosler 300 gr Accubond, a much better hunting bullet and far more accurate... (in my Edge)

"In guns, particularly firearms, caliber or calibre is the approximate internal diameter of the barrel, or the diameter of the projectile it fires."
WIKIPEDIA

"Fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"
Sigmund Freud
Old 10-01-2012, 08:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamplord View Post
forget the Berger and switch to the Nosler 300 gr Accubond, a much better hunting bullet and far more accurate... (in my Edge)
This is interesting to me.

May I ask at what distances did you do the testing of these two bullets to determin accuracy?

What did you get for a final BC of the Accubond?

Did you do any expansion testing of the accubond at distances past 1000 yards?

Have you taken game with both of these bullets? and at what distances to determin your data?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Jeff