Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

which monopod for rear support?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2004, 09:01 AM
Silver Member

Re: which monopod for rear support?

Well, why not look at what the benchresters have already found. The rear of the rifle needs to be able to move in at least two, maybe three, directions when fired. Down, back and twist due to torque (if you believe in it!). They don't lock an "arm" off the rear of the rifle, they place the stock in a slick, powdered-up sandbag which dampens and allows for free movement.

Now you might dampen the the "down" with something like a small shock absorber. But the "Back" and "Twist", with a monopod fixed to the rifle, skipping along the surface? I can't come up with anything here. Fixing that issue would be what Kasey gets paid for! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-17-2004, 10:22 AM

Re: which monopod for rear support?

I'm going to get paid?? Yahooo!

So I guess, at the end of the day, you are willing to accept the "zero or almost zero vertical dispersion " you get with a beanbag as being as good as it gets with todays equipment. To me, if you can still detect this vertical dispersion with a beanbag, then there must be something else to consider as well...thinking out loud, working on that pay check thing... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Len, Thanks for the kind words, and I'm glad you have found a measure of benefit from it's use.