Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

which monopod for rear support?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2004, 10:19 PM
PUBLISHER

Re: which monopod for rear support?

I have the short Accupod. Tried the Muleypod for dry-fire only off my bench and thought it was to unstable so i never shot targets with it.

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 03-13-2004, 12:37 AM
*WyoWhisper*

rufus,

Yup I did some very successful shooting to 1K... but then the more I shot the more I noticed that if there was any resistance or "hard" contact with the materials in the ground it greatly affected the accuracy. If you are on soft dirt there seemed to be little problem but harder non "slick" or "slidable" surfaces seemed to pose problems....
Old 03-16-2004, 02:05 PM

And what service indeed! Thank you.

I was just wondering if the shooting was done with a bipod and what is the "Wolf" you refer to?

We all have our own way of getting "on" a rifle, and if I understand it right, you basically put the top corner of the buttstock into your shoulder somehow and apply downward pressure, right?
Old 03-16-2004, 02:14 PM
Silver Member

The .30 Wolf is a 30/338 Lapua running a 210 grain bullet at 3300 fps. The rifle is approximately 18 pounds with a 32" barrel, brake and HS Precision stock. It is always shot with a short Harris bipod.

I have found that controlling vertical dispersion is quite a task with these monster calibers. To do so, I use extremely firm shoulder pressure and a slight downward pressure into the rear bag. This "pressure" is related to the posture of my upper body and the position of my elbows on the bench or ground.

This technique has netted me many groups with zero or almost zero vertical dispersion at 600 yards.
Old 03-16-2004, 03:34 PM

That's interesting and I must agree in that it's a lot of Horsepower!! I have a few more questions if you don't mind, When you say "zero or almost zero vertical dispersion" what do you contribute this vertical dispersion to? I've heard people say they see this dispersion from a bipod but not from a sandbag or benchrest type front rest. Any thoughts or observations on this?

And I, never seeing this rifle, wonder why "It is always shot with a short Harris bipod.". Can the bipod be removed so as to use a benchrest type support?

Sorry for my display of ignorance but I do appreciate your patience and time educating me.
Old 03-16-2004, 04:58 PM
Silver Member

No problem. My pleasure...

I attribute control of vertical dispersion to control and consistent response in the rear of the rifle. Vibration needs to be damped IMO. For me, that happens with a pliable material under the butt of the rifle, with a pliable material (me) behind and on top of it - holding on with a "controlled death grip", of course.

The bipod can of course be removed. I only fire the rifle from a bipod because I am interested in developing consistent shooting systems that work wherever I take them. For me, that includes my rifle club with concrete benches and the field with dirt and rocks. The whole system must be developed for both environments, and I won't carry a benchrest into the field.
Old 03-16-2004, 06:21 PM

See that makes sense to me, having a rifle "system" that's good to go, wherever that might be. I like that!

Regarding the rear rest, if using a beanbag, does it not become somewhat solid due to hand pressure during the shot? I wonder if placing a layer of, say a mouse pad, between the rifle and bag would be a benefit?