Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

which monopod for rear support?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2004, 01:13 PM
Silver Member

which monopod for rear support?

I am considering buying a monopod to attach to my rear sling swivel stud for added support while shooting prone. So far I know of only two products available. One is the Accu-shot monopod and the other is the Muley Pod. Are there any other monopods to consider? Which is best? Thanks, Rufous.
Old 03-12-2004, 02:18 PM
PUBLISHER

Re: which monopod for rear support?

I have both and I prefer the Accu-shot.

Nonetheless, STL feels the Accu-shot produes about a 1/4 moa increase in vertical for him over that of using a rear bag with a bipod.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>
posted Thu March 11 2004 10:29
In my case, Len, the day I tested this phenomenon I shot 3 or 4 groups at 100 yards and the same at 300.

I used the same technique on the bench that I'd use prone. Specifically, I put light (but positive) downward pressure on the rear of the rifle. I do this with my shoulders, really it's the posture of my whole upper body concentrated on the upper 1/4 of the recoil pad. Also, the standard "extreme" straight-line shoulder pressure from the rifle grip.

When I used the monopod, it seemed that the behavior of the buttstock was "different". Now that's not necessarily a bad thing, but on the target, I couldn't shoot under 3/4 MOA.

So all I can truthfully draw from my testing is that my current physical approach to shooting is incompatible with the monopod.

I suppose that someone else's technique, perhaps specifically tuned to the device, coupled with a rifle that behaves differently than the Wolf, may experience better results.

I was not inclined to continue experimenting because I'd have had to change my form to get the monopod to work.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 03-12-2004, 02:33 PM
*WyoWhisper*

I'm gonna have to go with STL on this I have the 2 pod on the market and both seem to affect performance. In my experience the pod is very stiff and if not able to "slide" or react with the recoil my groups go to hell. In my experience the rear "bean bag" approch seems to produce more consistent accuracy...

just my .02
Old 03-12-2004, 03:18 PM
Silver Member

WyoWhisper, I remember reading some of your posts about your use of the Muley Pod shooting at rocks at 1000 yards with great success. Apparently with more use you are not so happy with it? Rufous.
Old 03-12-2004, 03:28 PM
Bronze Member

rufous,
Haven't tried the monopods but sort of along the same line....
Have you seen the Stoney Point Quadrapod.
I came across it in my search for a steadier field rest than just using a bipod.
It is basically two sets of shooting sticks joined in the middle.
It supports both the front and back of your rifle stock.
They say you can assemble it in 30 seconds and it weighs about 3 lbs.
I have inquired on other sites but have not found anybody who has actually used the product yet.
It sure looks like an interesting option for a steady field rest or using as a steady rest for range work.
Old 03-12-2004, 03:30 PM
Silver Member

If I do get one what height should I get? I would probably use it while at the bench and while hunting. When hunting I use the Kramer Snipepod attached to the front stud. With it attached the distance from the ground to the buttstock at the rear stud is about 7". When at the bench my short Harris bipod would put the distance from the bench to the stock at about 3.5". Rufous.
Old 03-12-2004, 05:33 PM
Silver Member

Len, I am curious what you like better about the Accu-shot monopod over the Muleypod? Are you able to shoot as accurately with the monopod as with a rear bag? Thanks, Rufous.