Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Moly removal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-11-2006, 12:31 AM
Gold Member
Re: Moly removal

Ackley, Acetone is sold here in the US in hardware stores. It is a solvent like lacqer thinner. Yes, it is a part of finger nail polish. Acetone is just stronger since it is the pure stuff.

Unread 02-11-2006, 02:34 AM
Bronze Member

thanks for all the comments I have found some pure acetone from a local smith,I have already scrubbed with kroil and JB hopefully I might have shifted the stuff but the acetone will make sure,I hope it doesent harm a Krieger match barrel
Unread 02-11-2006, 08:48 AM
Platinum Member

Acetone will not hurt barrels at all unless you swab out the barrel and don't reil it , acetone willremove all oil from the bore and alot of guys say that you can have your barrel to "dry" and it'll foul realy bad.

I use Moly in a couple of my guns that have cheaper barrels and they get shot in higher volume like my factory varmint guns. I have found that in some calibers Iwas able to get a little better accruacy with moly coated bullets I think its do to having to use more powder to get the same velocity as un-coated bullets which give you better load density. Otherwise , I don't bother with it anymore.

When I remove moly from one of my guns , I swab it out several time with acetone then use strait JB bore paste for a dozen or so strokes they clean like normal , thats always worked good for me
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
Molon Labe