Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Moly or Not?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2003, 08:24 PM
Silver Member

Re: Moly or Not?

Hi Chris

Its Jeff here. I don't know if it holds true for bigger rounds but in the 223 with pressure testing, you can get to a higher MV (sure you use a bit more powder but whats a half or full grain) at the same pressure by using moly. So if I"m limited to 60 kpsi then, for example, I can safely go to 2700 fps with a bare 80 at 60kpsi while I can go to 2850 fps with a moly 80 at the same 60 kpsi. BTW in my experience with going 200 rounds of 223 with bare bullets, I can tell it in my 600 and beyond scores. While my short line 300 and under never suffered much. Since going to moly I've cleaned 600 with better than 50% x count out of my service rifle, with over 350 rounds in the tube. I doubt that could have happened with bare bullets and that round count.

Seems the consensus is that moly is like it is in the HP game. Use it or don't. Whatever you like.

I am leaning a bit more to non moly in the next hunting rifle and we'll see how it works.

Thanks for all the input folks!!

Jeff
Old 12-16-2003, 11:50 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Moly or Not?

Moly lowers pressure, flattens the pressure curve, and moves the peak pressure a couple of inches down the bore.

Slightly higher velocity is possible with moly but the important benefit, IMO, is increased round count before cleaning and then a much simpler and faster cleaning. I clean with 1 oiled patch followed by 3 dry patches. I am currently using BreakFree CLP but have used CRC 5-56 and know others who use any light oil with equal results.

I moly my own bullets with SF grade moly from Rose Mill Co as price was slightly better than Dow for 1 lbs. I tumble only bullets and moly powder (no steel shot) in large pill bottles. No dedicated tumbler bowl is required and clouds of moly are not produced when using the pill bottles. 10 oz soda bottles do just as well as pill bottles and availablilty is better. I do not wax.

IMO it is better to start with a bore that is either properly broken in so does not show signficant copper fouling after 15-20 shots with non-moly bullets, or with bore hand lapped to the extent that the barrel maker agrees is suitable for moly with the first rounds.

Clean the bore and prep with moly paste or cream sold for the pupose. Avoid molying the chamber. I used a cartridge case with the head drilled and a short length of 3/8" pvc with my .300WSM but you can use a comercial bore guide if you do not mind moly coating it's interior as well as your bore.