Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

moly affecting accuracy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2004, 08:49 PM
Bronze Member

moly affecting accuracy

I am fixing to buy a rifle that a guy is using for long range competion. He is currently shooting moly coated bullets. I would prefer to shoot non moly coated bullets though. I was wondering if accuracy of the load he has worked up with the moly'd bullets will decrease if i simply replace them with non moly's ones.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:28 PM
Gold Member

Re: moly affecting accuracy

Accuracy shouldn't suffer but moly is a lub and you have increase the amount of powder when shooting moly bullets to obtain the velocity you want, so when you begin fireing non-coated bullets the resistance will increase and you will have to decrease the amount of powder used.
db
Old 04-15-2004, 06:47 AM
Silver Member

..One on-going experiment we have going on around here is something of a "moly break-in" thing.. Roy's had several rifles now that he's shot molied bullets in for the first hundred or so and naked after that.. It seems to be really cutting down on fouling but it's hard to be cunclusive about these things.. He's using a HawkEye to check the bores, so.. My .02 would be to give it a good cleaning and go shoot..!! d:^) JiNC
Old 05-01-2004, 10:11 AM

Hi !
My experience is that mixing of moly and non-moly is rearly a good idea the same day, unless you wanna spend 5-10 rounds to "clean" the barrel before the groupings come back.
If you shoot some moly and than change to a non-moly bullet you will get grouping worse than you can imagine (compared to after cleaning the barrel).

BUT, if you clean the barrel well before switching you should not have any problems.