Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Modifying the Factory Bullet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2010, 05:36 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Modifying the Factory Bullet

IMO, you should ask Bryan from berger this question

IMO you gain very little by closing the point at least as BC is concerned. I think that going from a .1 to a .02 nose only moves the BC a few points!

With that said, you have done an amazing job

I think that the target bullet makers make a hollow point bullet because they are the most accurate to make on a production scale.

Small hollow points can give uneven results due to plugging of the tip and I do like a BT for hunting purposes and look forward to your results.

edge.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:04 PM

The tip is a slight press and I am thinking about using some retaining locktite though I dont know how that will work with the led.

Could you maybe not drill out the lead, but instead just face off the bullet to your length then heat up the lead to melting point and push your aluminum tip in. When it cools the lead will form around the stud you created. Then clean up any over flow. Just a thought.
Accually if you drilled only half your depth you might not have any clean up at all.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:26 AM
Silver Member

I to would be vary interested in what bryan would have to say about this.

I thought about melting the led around the stud but dont want to make something to keep the tip concentric with the bullet.

By drilling and presing them in I feal that I can keep them vary concentric because I can do that all in the same setup.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:23 PM
Silver Member

Nape.270

I am not a bullet maker but have made a few Blaaistic Tips . Looks like you have done a very nice job with your new bullets. Based on what I see your Meplats look like on the sierra's...I think you will be happy with the ballistic tip results.

As you well know, this is somewhat of a labor intensive project as compared to buying a bullet and just shooting it. Rolling your own does have its advantages though.

I have the Meplat trimmer and bullet pointing dies. I certainly think that doing these things help a little. We have been making ballistic tips for a little while now. We make ballictic tips for a bullet maker on this site. One of the tips we are making is for the 300smk. We designed it for a little better BC but more importantly, we wanted a long range bullet that would open up better at lower velocity's.

We have not been able to test the 300smks but the results in 30caliber bullets has been very good. We just did a run of 1,500 tips for 30 caliber and 338's. Hope to be doing some testing on the 300 smk's soon.

Now having said all this, Bergers new Hybrid seems to be King of the mountain. I am still waiting for Bergers new design for my 338LAI. Until then, I have something to fool around with.

Good luck with your project. Let us know how it works out.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:48 PM
Silver Member

Thank you every one that has replied I will keep you updated as I go.

Here are 25 that I have made so far will shoot them this weekend or next.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:13 AM
Bronze Member

Nape.270,

Have you posted pics of these? If so I'm not seeing them :( I'm very keen on seeing your results after firing
Old 09-11-2010, 02:21 PM
Platinum Member

i'm very impressed with the results of these "do em by hand" bullets. at one time i drilled out the hollow points of SMK's and filed the ends to clean them up. didn't seem to make any difference in the POI or accuracy out to 950 yds. i did it to "hopefully" guarantee good exspansion.
the best thing, IMO, about tipped bullets is the consistency of their BC. i read a very interesting report where they experimented with bullets trying to determine which had the most consistent BC. they did this with dopler radar. actually firing bullets at tremendous distances and could record the exact path each took and claimed to determine the exact BC of each bullet. they tested quite a few, mostly match bullets, but the best, meaning the bullets that had the "lowest spread" was the Accubond followed by the Balistic tip. the consistancy of the plastic tips was credited with them being the most consistant.
your bullets look amazing. my concern would be how consistant they are with respect to concentricity.