Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Mil Ranging Drop Graph

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-23-2007, 11:26 PM
Mil Ranging Drop Graph

I've been lurking and learning here for a while now, and as I'm finaly getting around to verifying my longer range (beyond 400 yards) drops and windages.

I just got my first mil dot scope and thought of a way to include a mil ranging function allong with my rifles drops all on a single sheet taped to the stock. The curves from bottom left to upper right are all lines for mil targets in inches and are labled on the top and right. The Elevation and Wind lines are resolvable to 1/4 MOA which is as accurately as my scope will adjust.

I've outlined a single solution with the colored arrows on the chart. Notice that the measured mills from the scope are used as tenths of a mil on the X axis (ie 1.1 mils = 11) in order to fit the MOA's of Adjustment and the ranging mils on the same scale. The example solution is for a deer with an assumed 18 inch back to brisket depth, mils at 1.1. Find 11 on the X-axis and follow it straight up until you intersect the 18 inch curve. Read the range (appx 455 yards) off of the Y axis, and the appropriate Drop (5 1/4 MOA) and Wind (2 MOA) adjustments.

I just wanted to share an idea that works for me.