Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

MICULEK Comp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2007, 06:01 AM
Silver Member

MICULEK Comp

Hi

I just read the LONG RANGE RIFLE ON A BUDGET article by Jerry Teo
where he recomended the MICULEK Comp for AR15 as a budget alternative.
I plan to put a brake on my 300WM and the MICULEK fits my wallet.
Have any one here tried it?
(I did a search but only got two hits for ARīs for sale.)

Old 11-10-2007, 08:09 AM
Platinum Member

I have seen them on AR-s and it looks like it would work well but it looks like it was made kinda "shoddy" I diden't inspect it but it looked like it either have some bad tool marks left in it or it was made from cast. if the price of the comp is the trouble thats the cheap part having the barrel threaded is the costly part.

Here is the problems I have with it.

1) the barrel has to be threade for alot longer section to allow the use of a lock nut to keep the brake indexed properly , I assume that your barrel is on the heavier side , cutting it down to the 1/2-28 tpi will destroy accuracy if its not done properly as it will expand the bore at the muzzle

2) your going to end up with a poor fit and if that locknet comes loose your gonna have some REALY poor accuracy

Its gonna cost you $50 from Brownells ($29 dealer cost) then you still have to have it fitted , that will cost between $50-$125 depending on the smith that does it. I personaly would check out one of the smiths here to see what it would cost to have a good brake installed. I know that "308nate" here installs them for $60 and I think his personal desgine V-port is around $75 but don't hold me to that price. You will be paying a little more but the quality will be MUCH better , the barrel to brake fit is invisible and their is no worry about the bore opening up. His link is in my signature box below.
Shawn and Kirby both also do awsome work and their are a few other guys here that are smiths just styarting out that could probably give you a great deal with great results also.
Dicking around with the muzzle of a rifle especialy taking away material and adding weight is a pretty serious deal if things arn't done right your accuracy will suffer greatly

thats just my two cents , but I personaly would rather work a few extra hrs over time of wait another couple weeks and get a quality job
Old 11-10-2007, 08:35 AM
Silver Member

Hi

Thanks for the advice. I have also looked at the Holland brakes and read a lot of positive feedback on them.
I live in Sweden but I have a good smith that does all the work for me. :-)

The barrel is the original that is on a Rem 700 ADL Synthetic. In the future it will be rebarreld with a Lothar Walther.