Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Microlon Gun Juice Results

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2010, 02:46 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Microlon Gun Juice Results

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
I would only apply GJ after I knew the bore was stripped entirely clean of any dirt, carbon, or copper fouling. If you do a thorough, complete cleaning of the bore, then I think you could run a wetted patch of GJ down the bore and leave it dry until shooting it the next time. You would basically be adding a treatment to the bore after having thoroughly cleaned the bore. From the GJ instructions and folks, I plan to do that about every 100 - 200 rounds fired down my GJ treated bore. Like maybe once or twice a year based on the rate of my shooting. I don't think there's any need to do this every time you clean your bore, AFTER the initial treatment with GJ has been completed.

SHRTSHTR,

I'm also interested in seeing how long your velocity increase is maintained. If your MV starts to fall off, then maybe that would be the indicator that a maintenance/supplemental treatment is in order? Dunno. I don't have the length of time of experience yet. The velocity increase in my 300 Win Mag seems to have been permanent, at least till now.
Hope you find a sweet spot at just under 3000 fps!
Makes sense phorwath, that's just something (use a somewhat reduced fouling load for the first 2 shots after gh application before shooting) I've been doing to try and keep whatever gj does working as consistenly over time as possible. On the rifle I'm working with now, I've just been running a patch of gj down the bore as a final step to bore cleaning before storage after letting Bore-Tech work it's magic completely and then shoot a couple of fouling shots and off to the races. Just trying to keep things as consistent over the long haul in the bore as possible. 'long ranger' from Alberta Tactical was one of the first guys to mention gj here that I recall. He's used it for years, specifically on Rock Creek barrels (he's the CA dist.) with great results, he says and after shooting he runs a couple of pathes down the barrel:

anything between the 338 Edge and the 338 AM?

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 08-27-2010, 04:24 PM
Silver Member

I hope the treatment lasts. plan on doing the same thing you guys are doing. Occasionally applying a coat or two.

Off to the range for more testing .
Old 08-28-2010, 03:36 PM
Platinum Member

SHRTSHTR,
Got up at o'dark thirty this morning to head to the hills and my shooting spot to try and do some trajectory validation in calm conditions. Shot the 102.0g Retumbo load using 2980mv in Exbal at 457yd (10 deg down), 897yd (4 deg down) and 977yd (4 deg down). Using Litz's 300SMK data, the 457 was spot on vert, the 897yd, 2 of 4 were spot vert/hor right in the 3.5" bulls eye (1/2 mild steel--those 300SMK's ALMOST go through) and I think I bobbled the other two that went about 1/2MOA high. The sun had just hit the slope the target was on a few minutes prior and the updraft was starting by looking at my cheater flag at 977yd. The 977yd 3 of 4 went sub 1/2min and withing 1.5" l/r with about a 4" vert spread just over the 2" bull--and I must've pulled the other one to the right about 7"---arrgh. This last target had alot more of the now sunny slope under it and the cheater flag showed a lift, so at this fairly early point in the game of trajectory validation, I'm chalking the high shots and vert. stringing at 977 to the variable upslope wind. Every single shot fired today would've easily been a dead elk/deer. I'm embarrased to say I still haven't quite settled on a consistent hold on this thing so from what I've seen, if I'm putting rounds out of the group, it's my fault in my shooting. It seems alot like my unbraked 300RUM in that a very hard hold seems to work best. I got a feeling that I am the weak link in the system that Kirby put together for me. Any results from your end?

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 08-29-2010, 11:20 AM
Silver Member

jmden,
Nice shooting for sure. Seems you are getting to know your rifle well. I too have been working on my hold. i have a brake on mine and use a moderate hold.

I shot on Friday tryng to find a load I can shoot at distance. 97gns Retumbo gave me 2855fps with an ES of 10 and 4 SD. This load shot right at 1/2 moa at 200 yards. This was a 8 shot group. Remember that this is Virgin brass and was not fireformed yet. Hmmm, well now it is .

I have about 50 rounds to shoot to get my 100 pieces of brass fireformed. I can then step it up to a hotter load in the fireformed cases. I am also working with a new ballistics program and want to see its effect at longer distance. This way I am not just wasting barrel life fireforming my brass.

It is fun but time consuming!