Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

MGM Barrels: Standard vs. Shilen Select Match

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2011, 01:11 PM
Silver Member

MGM Barrels: Standard vs. Shilen Select Match

My buddy is going to order a barrel for his T/C Prohunter but doesn't know if he should should go with the Shilen Select for $100 more or go with their standard barrel,which is a Douglas. I spoke with MGM and they said there is no advantage with the Shilen which I thought was weird. The wait is 5 weeks for a Douglas and 15 for a Shilen. Any feedback would be great.

Thanks,
Todd
Old 07-12-2011, 03:00 PM
Platinum Member

Re: MGM Barrels: Standard vs. Shilen Select Match

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornhunter32 View Post
My buddy is going to order a barrel for his T/C Prohunter but doesn't know if he should should go with the Shilen Select for $100 more or go with their standard barrel,which is a Douglas. I spoke with MGM and they said there is no advantage with the Shilen which I thought was weird. The wait is 5 weeks for a Douglas and 15 for a Shilen. Any feedback would be great.

Thanks,
Todd
there has been a lot of talk about the new Douglas barrels lately with target shooters. Seems like a lot of them are showing up in the winner's circles. One well known gunsmith has said that they seem to be the straitest barrels out there right now
gary
Old 07-12-2011, 04:31 PM
Platinum Member

Edited

Last edited by Boss Hoss; 11-09-2011 at 06:21 AM.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:59 PM
Silver Member

I have a MGM 35 whelen barrel and it shoots very well. I got the Douglas barrel with muzzle brake.Another upgrade to the barrel would be a hanger bar system Stratton Custom. Mine will shoot under 1/2 inch at 100 yards all day.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:21 PM
Platinum Member

I have not had good luck with Douglas for the past 15 years. they used to make good barrels
and it would be good to see them produce the quality that they used to.

I will say, that with barrels you get what you pay for and the wait for the best barrel is allways
worth it, and after spending the money to have a custom barrel installed often the more
expensive barrel ends up being cheaper.

Most high quality barrels will have a long delivery because of demand.

Depending on what caliber, twist and contour you want some barrel makers have In Stock
barrels ready for shipment.

I know Lilja does.

J E CUSTOM
Old 07-13-2011, 11:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Hoss View Post
I do not know of any competitive BR or F-Class shooters that use Douglas. Have not seen them listed in any equipment lists in IBS anyway.

Where are you getting this information might I ask?
there was quite a discussion about it over on the Benchrest board a couple weeks ago. Apparently the long range crowd are starting to notice them, and they are starting to show up on the equipment lists in quantity. The company has changed hands, and a guy named Tim Gardner owns it now (I don't know him, and actually never heard of him before). I kinda gather that he's been making a lot of changes since he took over. One guy posted a list, and they had 16 barrels on the list with the next closest maker being 11. Is there something in the wind; I don't know, but that's a lot of barrels for a generic barrel manufacturer.
gary
Old 07-13-2011, 11:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
I have not had good luck with Douglas for the past 15 years. they used to make good barrels
and it would be good to see them produce the quality that they used to.

I will say, that with barrels you get what you pay for and the wait for the best barrel is allways
worth it, and after spending the money to have a custom barrel installed often the more
expensive barrel ends up being cheaper.

Most high quality barrels will have a long delivery because of demand.

Depending on what caliber, twist and contour you want some barrel makers have In Stock
barrels ready for shipment.

I know Lilja does.

J E CUSTOM
for a barrel that won't shoot, I have one laying about five feet from me that's an all day quarter inch barrel (Douglas). I've seen lots of them over the last fifteen years shoot in the twos.

When you get in the big time you don't wait for a barrel. It's often gave to you. (how many barrels do you think Boyer has bought?). Calfee uses almost nothing but Lilja barrels in his world class bench guns. Yet he will openly tell you that three out of five are sent back to the factory as unusable! (sometimes four out of five). Does this mean that a Lilja barrel is sub-par? Not in the least! Lots of folks swear by Krieger barrels, and lets face it he makes a pretty good barrel. But a look at the equipment list and who won will tell you another story. Boyer is probably the best benchrest shooter we'll ever see in our lifetime. He uses nothing but Shilen barrels. He did make a slip once and say that he will go thru several barrels before he gets a "hummer." And then he only gets about three to four hundred rounds thru it. I'd imagine that the "shot out barrel" is better than anything we'll ever use.

Virtually all barrels are bored in a similar fashion off something like a Pratt or an Albion (both are similar quality). I doubt that anybody is using an Elderado or Seneca Falls as they simply don't fit the needs here. Some use cut rifeling and some use a button setup. All the big winners seem tobe button if you check the equipment lists. Aside from the fact that the Albion has a stronger cast iron frame than the Pratt; there's little difference between the bore quality when using the same grind on the drill. The reaming processes are all similar between each bunch wether they'll admit it or not (I seriously doubt any of them will pay the cash for a Mapol reamer so I left that out). The only serious differences are the hand lap job and how the rifeling is cut assuming we're talking the usual 416 SS steel. If Mr. Gardner revised the way he laps the barrels in, then there is little difference. And if by chance mr. Gardner spent the $6K on a Mapol reamer; he has a better blank to rifle right away.

gary