Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Message to Shawn Carlock from DUH

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2008, 04:38 AM
Gold Member

Message to Shawn Carlock from DUH

Shawn,

You wanted me to keep you posted with how my new rifle is coming along. Well here is the latest from this afternoons session. distance is 1029 yards.

Below is a 4 shot group with 300 smk from a DE 338 edge. Group was shot off harris bipod and rear bag.

Conditions were

Alt 569 ft

BP 29.2

RH 71.5

Temp 77.5

I got ready to go and pulled out the PDA and Kestrel. Guess what ? Flat battery on the PDA. So I think to myself fire a sighting shot and adjust for a group.

I take a guess at the dope and dial 24 MOA up and fire. Keeping in mind I had never fired at a target anywhere near this far, but feel confident based on how I had been shooting. BOOOOOOm , whooosh Clang !!!! MAN !!! Holy smoke !! Straight into the circle centre mass.

Three shots later this is what I had. See below...

The 4 shots are the red ones !

Group size from side to side from centre point of strikes is 3.75 " across and 3.5 " top to bottom.

The first time I have ever shot at 1000 yards . Cant get the smerk off my face !!

One question though. When I came home and fired the pda up and put all data in NF exbal came back with 26 moa up, not the 24 I dialed ? Can anyone suggest what I might need to do to get my actual drops agreeing with the PDA ? To get the moa to match I put 2930 fps instead of 2830 ??

This post is to illustrate how good a class rifle can make an average marksman. Cheers to you Shawn.

As I always say... God help the deer Down Under !!

DUH
Old 01-19-2008, 08:58 AM
Gold Member

Location: Sagauache County, Co...3170 sq miles, not a single stop light!
Wow...

that is impressive.....cancel that offer to take you elk hunting......all we would be doin is packin your meat!!!!keep us posted when you stretch that to 1500......AJ
Old 01-19-2008, 10:17 AM
Platinum Member

Very good.......... We have no funny face for a "smerk".

I'd like to learn what you did to solve the 2 MOA difference.

When I look at the globe I notice that gravity is actually pulling the bullet up for you down under fellas. I wonder if that makes a difference.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:43 AM

Good shooting. Check the sight height setting and rated BC. The BC in your program may be a little off from what you actually have. Also, make certain that you have a "HARD" 100 yard zero that your working off of.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:12 AM
Sponsor

DUH,

If i was making an educated guess I would say the pressure seems a little high. If it was off .5 or .6 to high this would cause the effect you are seeing. 29.2 is almost std sea level. Calc std at 569 ft is something like 28.8 in the conditions you gave. Assuming that you were shooting over flat ground with no wind over terrain features to cause this I would check the following:
1. Your Kestrel's BAR Pres is referenced to 0' elevation giving you raw station pressure.
2. You entered the reading into the pressure at altitude box and unchecked the calc std pressure box.
3. The Exbal program seems to work very well with the 300 SMK and the BC it assigns it. I doubt there is an issue there. I'm fairly certain your not shooting 2900+ so that only leaves not getting the right info in the right location in the program or a shooting condition you just are not seeing.
4. On conditions, were you flat? Was there even the slightest head or tail wind? Was it in the morning when the temp is rising. Did you have the Kestrel out in the conditions for a while for it to settle in?
Don't you just love these guys that say long range hunting is the easy way out?

Also glad you like the rifle. Pretty tough not to like a rifle that just about shoots itself.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 01-19-2008, 01:19 PM
Platinum Member

one thing to check is to make sure your scope is actually moving the 24 minutes that you adjusted for. maybe it actually moved 26.

oh yeah, very nice shootin! it does give you a case of "smileitis" when you walk up to that first good group at distance. looks like another notch to go on the side of Shawn's lathe!

Last edited by davewilson; 01-19-2008 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:55 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Carlock View Post
DUH,

If i was making an educated guess I would say the pressure seems a little high. If it was off .5 or .6 to high this would cause the effect you are seeing. 29.2 is almost std sea level. Calc std at 569 ft is something like 28.8 in the conditions you gave. Assuming that you were shooting over flat ground with no wind over terrain features to cause this I would check the following:
1. Your Kestrel's BAR Pres is referenced to 0' elevation giving you raw station pressure.
2. You entered the reading into the pressure at altitude box and unchecked the calc std pressure box.
3. The Exbal program seems to work very well with the 300 SMK and the BC it assigns it. I doubt there is an issue there. I'm fairly certain your not shooting 2900+ so that only leaves not getting the right info in the right location in the program or a shooting condition you just are not seeing.
4. On conditions, were you flat? Was there even the slightest head or tail wind? Was it in the morning when the temp is rising. Did you have the Kestrel out in the conditions for a while for it to settle in?
Don't you just love these guys that say long range hunting is the easy way out?

Also glad you like the rifle. Pretty tough not to like a rifle that just about shoots itself.

Shawn,

I'd say it probably would be my inexperience with the kestrel giving me the problems. The BP is the one I am unsure of. I have not calibrated the kestrel yet. I let it sit for around 5 min before reading it. I was shooting into a 4-5 mph 12 oclock head wind. Would I be better leaving the BP as STD pressue and putting the altitude in ? I'm sure I just need to tweak something a little ?

I'd say the numbers would suggest around 2830 fps based on what it has been doing, but last time in the extreme heat I was shooting around the 2 moa high at 700M and high at a 415M target as well.

I had a dead level reading on my aci as well ?

Just got to learn how to drive that kestrel me thinks ??

Cheers to all.

DUH

Last edited by Down Under Hunter; 01-19-2008 at 02:59 PM.