Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

mercury recoil supperssors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2004, 06:52 PM
Bronze Member

mercury recoil supperssors

I see [c and h] sell them for about $38.00 .There are about 4 different lengths and dia. size. How well does it work and whats a good size?For a rifle.
SKEETER
Old 09-16-2004, 11:27 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: mercury recoil supperssors

Skeeter,

In my opinion, these are a last ditch effort to tame down a rifle that is much to snotty to play with.

Generally you see then used in big bore dangerous game rifles that are equip with barrel banded front sights where a brake will not be possible.

I do not care for them simply because I feel they can throw off the balance of a hunting rifle enough to make it feel unbalanced in the field.

If you are using then in a long range rifle, there really is not a great need as these rounds generally do not generate the kinds of recoil energies that demand such bandaids.

Still I will admit they do work, how well is in the shoulder of the beholder so to speak.

Basically I feel it is more the added weight to the rifle that tames recoil more then anything.

The different sizes are for different style stocks. Basically you find out the dimensions of your butt stock and see what size will fit in your stock.

I have shot a 378 Wby that has three of these embedded in the wood stock, the thing still just about took my shoulder off as the rifle still only weighed in at 9 lbs ready to shoot.

Some smiths swear by them, alot do not, I do not like them. If I am going to build a rifle in a heavy kicking round I either use a high quality brake and recoil pad or if the owner does not want a brake I install a good pad, recommend a little more rifle weight and advise teh customer to get accustom to heavy recoil.

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 09-17-2004, 04:22 AM
Bronze Member

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-15-2008, 09:29 PM

My friend has a 300 Rem. Ultra Mag and with a mercury plug there I felt it only kicked a little more than my 30-06. I was told the plugs don't help that much but it did for his gun and I base that on shooting his with a plug, mine wihout, and my 30-06 all side by side and they are all Rem. model 700's. I was going to put a plug in my 300 Rem. Ulttra Mag but I don't want the extra weight so I'm going with a break...I think a Gentry break. ;)
Old 09-16-2008, 11:16 PM

Fiftydriver is correct! I have a 500 NE 31/4'' double that has a suppressor in the stock it adds weight to the rifle and it also reduces the inertia of the recoil. Muzzle brakes work more efficiently on rifles that chambered for the large capacity rounds examples of this is the various 300 mags, 30-378, 50 bmg and so forth. I had a 458 Lott that I added weight and muzzle brake, that brought the weight up to 10lbs. Now I had a rifle that had more muzzle blast and still scrambled my eggs.

The rifle has been rebarreled and in now a 404 Jeffery.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:33 PM
Platinum Member

More buttstock weight might be needed for balance if your running a heavy barrel.
I use 3lbs of mercury in a 16.5lb BR gun. It gave me weight in the rear that improved recoil/tracking off bags. Can't say it reduced recoil though, as the gun never recoiled much anyway.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:30 PM
Platinum Member

Tried my 45-120 "Nitro" with and without, and with only an extra pound because of weight, I do think the mercury helps more than just dead weight. However, it still really sucks to shoot off the bench. I mean really, really sucks.