Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Meplat Uniformer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2011, 03:08 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Meplat Uniformer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunthard View Post
I is there an approved way?

Thanks.
Not yet. You're breaking new ground........ I just chop 'em off with the trimmer and the stub almost falls out. Some times does. Use a straight pin if it doesn't.

Why not just shoot 'em w/o trying point the tip. bc will be way down but it wasn't much to begin with, and will be consistent. Plus it would be in closer compliance with the intent of the rule, it there is a decent intent. Heck, even with that little bullet you should be able to short half way across that narrow state.

The trimmer is nothing more than a 4 flute end mill. I'm thinking a Wilson trimmer would work if used after the cartridge was loaded. Look at the Wilson trimmer and be sure the flute go to the center sufficiently to trim the meplat. It won't on mine thus the Kevin Cram solution.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:41 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
Not yet. You're breaking new ground........ I just chop 'em off with the trimmer and the stub almost falls out. Some times does. Use a straight pin if it doesn't.

Why not just shoot 'em w/o trying point the tip. bc will be way down but it wasn't much to begin with, and will be consistent. Plus it would be in closer compliance with the intent of the rule, it there is a decent intent. Heck, even with that little bullet you should be able to short half way across that narrow state.

The trimmer is nothing more than a 4 flute end mill. I'm thinking a Wilson trimmer would work if used after the cartridge was loaded. Look at the Wilson trimmer and be sure the flute go to the center sufficiently to trim the meplat. It won't on mine thus the Kevin Cram solution.
My problem is that I have a Forster trimmer, and the cutting head does not have a blade all the way across (small gap in center). The bullets weigh about 107 gr. without the tip. I'm just trying to get that last 7 gr. off , therefore, (hopefully) "the Kevin Cram solution."
Old 06-15-2011, 04:51 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
Plus it would be in closer compliance with the intent of the rule, it there is a decent intent. Heck, even with that little bullet you should be able to short half way across that narrow state.
The way they have it set up, it doesn't really look like a decent intent lol. Just tryin to make it a hassle, I could legally shoot a 100 gr. HP out of a 7 RUM, but I can't shoot a 110 gr. out of the .308 Win. ??? BC isn't really that much different, but velocity is. Even if NJ made it 110 gr. for the .308" bullets. You pretty much can't use any caliber over 7mm diameter... I tried accelerators in my .308 but they shoot BAD!!! About 4" @ 100 yds. for 3 shots.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:08 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunthard View Post
Does anyone have any experience with meplat uniformers? Is it possible to take a .308" 110 gr. V-Max, pull the tip out (so it's about 107 gr.), and trim the meplat until it's about 100 gr.? I live in NJ and can't shoot chucks with bullets over 100 gr. in a 308 win.
I bought the MCR uniformer, and it will not remove the needed amount of material to drop the bullet weight to 100 gr. Just to let anyone else that might be interested know. The end mill is of a too small diameter, a 1/4" end mill would work great, I'm going to look into that and see what I can do.

Thanks for the help guys, not your fault it didn't work. Technically it would be perfect, but the bullet tapers too fast.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:55 PM
Platinum Member

Why not just buy lighter bullets?
Hornady 3005 30 Caliber 100 Grain SJ/100 - ManVenture Outpost, LLC
Old 06-21-2011, 06:22 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
Thanks for the info. Believe it or not, I've already tried those, and the accuracy wasn't that good. Same with the Speer Plinkers. I'm trying to find a bullet that shoots decent, because I currently have some places for groundhogs that you can reach out a bit. I did find some 100 gr. bullets that might be decent though, I just loaded some Lapua 100 gr. Cutting Edges last night, so we'll see how it goes.

Thanks again.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:52 PM
Platinum Member

SUrprised you could find em. Hopefully they'll shoot