Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Melonite or Salt nitride barrels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 06:32 PM
Platinum Member

Melonite or Salt nitride barrels

Barrel Nitriding: 11,000 round update

Thought this thread on barrel meloniting, salt nitride etc was rather interesting.

When you look at the round counts of the barrels it makes sense for to do it on the super large capacity LR wildcats many are using.

I have it on two guns and so far so good. Just as advertised. Well worth the $80 and shipping if I get 2-3x barrel life vs a $500-700 rebarrel job.

BH

Last edited by BountyHunter; 10-29-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:03 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Melonite or Salt nitride barrels

Thanks BH
It really appears to be an advancement for us
Old 10-29-2012, 10:13 PM
GNERGY

I think it is worth a try. The results sound promising.
I have a Krieger that as soon as my 308 95 Palma reamer gets here and I get it chambered it is off to get nitrided. It is for shooting F-TR class. There is a place here in Phoenix that does it. 308's have a long barrel life and hopefully this will last 4 ever.
Tarey
Old 11-02-2012, 07:15 AM
Platinum Member

It is interesting guys here posting about all the "firecracking" in the super hot wildcat barrels that now limits them firing only 1-2 bullets and no one has tried this process for those wildcats.

For $100 you can possibly get 2-3x barrel life out of a $500-700 barrel and rechamber.

I can understand why the gunsmiths would not want to offer it with those guns.

I did it on a 300 WSM comp gun and a 338 Lapua AI and no issues so far. Now a lot of the 3 gun AR barrels are coming melonited also. It is slowly spreading.

The bore scope shows no erosion, super easy to clean.

BH
Old 11-02-2012, 08:51 AM
Platinum Member

Whenever the barrel on the 7mag goes I'm definitely going to look into this a lot closer.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 11-02-2012, 09:03 AM
Platinum Member

I really REALLY wanted to do this with my 6.5WSM.... got cold feet & chickened out. There is a decent amount of info on that over on the "other" forum

I've read that the initial cleaning after the treatment can be a bear but that just heresay.

I'm kicking around a 22-243 (I already have one). If I rebarrel, it will get some Melonite.

Anyone Cerakote after meloniting?

t

Old 11-02-2012, 12:09 PM
SPONSOR

CerraKote after treatment is no problem. The cleaning after treatment isn't "hear say" , I take 45 min. to 1 hr. to clean one up before I torque it back onto the action. I was told, by both treaters mentioned, that "barrels that have fire cracking are not the best candidates for treatment". Seems the edges can 'curl' and effect the bullet jacket. Remember, they're 'hard' after treatment and won't 'wear down' quickly, if at all. Many times when they do go away they take a small chunk of barrel with 'um. All I've ever sent for treatment have been new, freshly chambered and fired a few times, bore scoped and cleaned as clean as I can get 'um, before shipping. I'm happy,,, I'll be sending another soon. I've had a 6XC, a 6mm-284, a 6x45, a 300WM, a second 6mm-284, a 5.56mm, and a 6mm Rem. done so far.