Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Melonite Process

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2014, 12:53 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Melonite Process

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchracer View Post
Is the melonite process compatible with older actions made with case hardened steel?

Given the temperatures involved, would I be correct to think that small parts/hardware would need to be finished using a different process?

Maybe a better question is: Do you employ melonite as a stand alone finish, or do you use it as a barrel treatment in combination with other types of metal finish?
Best thing to do is call whoever you are going to use and ask them what they will do and won't do. H&M told me they can do pretty much anything that is steel, no aluminum and no springs. Parts must be disassembled. I had all steel parts (except the firing pin) nitirded and I used it as a stand alone finish and I am very happy with the finish.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 02-28-2014, 01:05 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Best thing to do is call whoever you are going to use and ask them what they will do and won't do. H&M told me they can do pretty much anything that is steel, no aluminum and no springs. Parts must be disassembled. I had all steel parts (except the firing pin) nitirded and I used it as a stand alone finish and I am very happy with the finish.
Good to know. One of the things that appeals to me about this is the possibility of treating the bolt with something that won't be removed by wear and does not cause dimensional changes. I like the idea of not leaving the bolt in the white.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchracer View Post
Good to know. One of the things that appeals to me about this is the possibility of treating the bolt with something that won't be removed by wear and does not cause dimensional changes. I like the idea of not leaving the bolt in the white.
I am getting some wear of the black ferrous oxide outside finish layer on the under side of the bolts but the nitride layer will not wear off unless you spend a lot of time with an abrasive lapping it off.

So the lighter color of the steel is showing a little on the underside of the bolt for some reason. Nowhere else on the bolt, receiver or barrel.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 03-01-2014, 08:14 PM
SPONSOR

I, for one, have serious reservations about Melonite treating actions. #1, I've never worn an action out. #2, is harder better when it comes to actions? If so, why would it be? There comes a point when "harder" becomes brittle. 4140 and 416R, as heat treated by the mill, are tried and proven for many years. If the material needs to be 'harder' why aren't the action makers, like Remington, using material that's harder to begin with? A few more points harder is still no match for the carbide tooling used in their manufacture. Case hardened actions, like the Mauser '98 require 'blocking' when they're color case hardened. If they're not 'blocked' they tend to twist themselves into a knot upon quenching, you may not even be able to insert the bolt. Every receipt I've got from H&M says "QPQ",,,, quench, polish, quench. I have my doubts even though some of the custom action makers are using the process. I can clearly see improvements in barrel life, and that's what interests me about the process most. There's more to just having the barrel treated, like an hour or sometimes two cleaning the residue from the inside and thats best accomplished before mounting the barrel back on the receiver. So, add that to the cost unless you're doing your own work. I see the Melonite/Black Nitride process more as a process to extend barrel life, not as a 'finish', although I have some of my own that looked good enough I didn't CeraKote them.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:23 PM
Silver Member

Does the barrel and action have to be separated or can they treat it assembled ?
Old 03-01-2014, 11:20 PM
Platinum Member

I have a BAT action, Krieger barrel, and Muscle break that are all melonited. I am very pleased with the process so far. I don't have enough rounds through it to tell much about throat erosion yet, but here are some things that I can attest to.
The barrel cleans up very nicely. I gained about 25'/sec. MV. The surface seems impervious to everyhting and has a nice black matte appearance. The action is SILKY smooth.
It is important to match the bare metal finish on the action with the barrel unless you want a contrast, although this is not a big deal unless the barrel has a pretty rough finish. There is no need to chose stainless over chrome moly, IMO, and in fact, the CM is lighter. It is important to REALLY scrub the barrel when you get it back because it will have some stubborn brown crud in it. I used a lot of bore tech and some IOSSO paste.
If the barrel life increases as much as advertised, this stuff is a home run!..........Rich
Old 03-02-2014, 03:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinjax View Post
Does the barrel and action have to be separated or can they treat it assembled ?
EVERYTHING must be disassembled, barrel, action bolt, shroud. Remove the firing pin, extractors, ejectors and cross pins and all springs.

~ John Quincy Adams