Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Melonite barrel treatment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2012, 08:56 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Melonite barrel treatment

I have two barrels done.

338 Lapua Ack Imp and 300 WSM. Joel K did both of mine and he will again

Love it!

Break them in quickly, super super clean and send them off.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Yup, I read through the whole thread and saw that Skyking had a couple barrels done recently (at time of thread) but was wonder if others also had some done and if they had put many rounds through the tubes. I researched this quite a bit a while back and it seemed to good to be true. Have heard a lot of good reports and some mediocre reports.

Overall, sounds like it's worth a try as long as there are no horror stories.

FWIW, On break-in, I also spoke with the Benchmark guys and they emphasized minimal rounds down the tube for break-in, especially for overbores.
they had some sort of lapping process to prep the barrel for the treatment.

Guess I'll contact Joel again and get his opinion on break-in.

Still would like to hear from others with real experience.
I've read everything I could find on the subject since I first read about it in an article on Accurate Shooter.

The worst reports I've seen said their guns shot as well as before and cleaned up easier. No horror stories at all.

I was on the fence about sending some of mine in, and decided I'd go ahead and complete my collection and get all of the work done to them I wanted that required any machining before sending them in.

I will start having them done one or two at a time now that I have reached that goal, well almost.... .
Old 12-15-2012, 12:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
I've read everything I could find on the subject since I first read about it in an article on Accurate Shooter.

The worst reports I've seen said their guns shot as well as before and cleaned up easier. No horror stories at all.

I was on the fence about sending some of mine in, and decided I'd go ahead and complete my collection and get all of the work done to them I wanted that required any machining before sending them in.

I will start having them done one or two at a time now that I have reached that goal, well almost.... .
New barrels, right?
Old 12-15-2012, 01:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
New barrels, right?
Relatively new. I sure won't both with the expense on any that are already showing any appreciable throat erosion.

Everything though I've read on the subject or heard from people I respect is that you want to already have them thoroughly broken in though and very thoroughly cleaned. If they are not cleaned they will either get rejected or you'll get a heck of a bill for cleaning.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:54 AM
Platinum Member

25-50 rounds down the bore, just enough to break the bore in, is what I've read. Melonite treating a bore that already has any firecracking in the throat is reportedly a problematic risk. Melonite treatment can open up those fissures and hardens them, resulting in hardened, sharp edges in the bore that can collect fouling.

That's the gist of it from what I've read. I'm not going to be treating any bores with more than 150 rounds down the tube, until I read something differently from the folks that provide this treatment. And I'm winging it with the 150. The safer approach may be less than 100 rounds fired.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
25-50 rounds down the bore, just enough to break the bore in, is what I've read. Melonite treating a bore that already has any firecracking in the throat is reportedly a problematic risk. Melonite treatment can open up those fissures and hardens them, resulting in hardened, sharp edges in the bore that can collect fouling.

That's the gist of it from what I've read. I'm not going to be treating any bores with more than 150 rounds down the tube, until I read something differently from the folks that provide this treatment. And I'm winging it with the 150. The safer approach may be less than 100 rounds fired.
I'm going to have my gunsmith scope them all before I send them off and let him be the final go/nogo on it for me.

My approach is being based on the same concerns you have.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post

Haven't heard that it was a safety issue but maybe it is? But I have heard you definitely don't want it done to any barrels with any fire cracking or throat erosion. I've heard less than 50 rounds through it and the guys at Benchmark winced when I said I was planing to put 5-10 rounds through a 300 Ultra. Their suggestion was maybe 2-3 rounds by the smith after smithing for the usual function check and let them (Benchmark) prep the barrel.