Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Melonite barrel treatment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2012, 10:21 PM

Re: Melonite barrel treatment

Just honest questions:

Since I think it is resolved that breakin is a requirement for preparation, so what about the relative advantages/disadvantages of using fire-lappping for the primary method of breakin? Therenis some support among competative shooters for fire-lapping (David Tubb)

What about following-up fire-lapping with some form of electropolishing (blackstar?)

Just trying to figure out what is the very B E S T way to get that bore as smooth as POSSIBLE so it will be ready for the permanence that the nitro-carburizing brings?

Thanks for the lively discussion! I've learned a whole lot!
Old 08-05-2012, 10:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunsmoke View Post
Just honest questions:

Since I think it is resolved that breakin is a requirement for preparation, so what about the relative advantages/disadvantages of using fire-lappping for the primary method of breakin? Therenis some support among competative shooters for fire-lapping (David Tubb)

What about following-up fire-lapping with some form of electropolishing (blackstar?)

Just trying to figure out what is the very B E S T way to get that bore as smooth as POSSIBLE so it will be ready for the permanence that the nitro-carburizing brings?

Thanks for the lively discussion! I've learned a whole lot!
I don't have any experience with fire lapping but have heard both good and bad. My gut feeling is, if you have a good quality lapped barrel, I don't personally like the sound of firing "grit" down it. That said, here is what I did with mine. You can check more on this forum under (new 30/375 wildcat). I have a Krieger barrel on my new build which was shooting some sub .1 moa groups at 100 yards before I sent it in for melonite. I shot it far more than I intended before shipping it off (long story) but I cleaned it SQUEAKY clean with bore tech eliminator and then a good scrubbing with Iosso bore paste. Lastly, I ran a couple of patches with rubbing alcohol. I chrono'd it with three selected brass numbered 1-3 and recorded everything pertinent as far as temp, sun angle etc. When I got the barrel back, I was surprised how much brownish residue that there was to clean out before firing. I fired the three rounds again duplicating as much as possible the first test. The only difference was about 30 degrees warmer temp, which I would rather not have had, but came up with about a 25-30' increase in velocity. I was using H1000 so I don't believe there should be that much difference due to temp sensity based on past experience. I had a temporary scare as my groups had opened to about 1 moa but I soon discovered that my base mount was loose. I tightened everything down and only had two rounds left which went into one hole. I haven't had time to shoot since but am going to wait for some 50 degree weather to repeat the chrono test. I had fired about thirty rounds thru it after the treatment and had also fire formed another 50 brass, so I cleaned it using my usual technique. I will say that cleanup is now VERY easy. Copper does not seem to accumulate much at all and comes right out with a couple of patches......Rich
Old 08-06-2012, 04:37 AM

Thanks for sharing your experience Rich! I'm new hhere and I can already tel I'm dealing with shootists here not juveniles that have to turn everything into a political discussion!

I'm glad you mentioned the IOSSO BORE PASTE, someone had mentioned IOSSO and was not familiar with their products and I wanted to ask about the bore paste but forgot to.

I was wondering about the grit issue as you mentioned because it occured to me that one could easily over do the coaser grit on a fine barrel t hat's why I asked the question the way I did. I've been hand sharpenig knives for years and have seen much blade geometry altered with too coarse a stone and have made some realy fine edges with fine stones but its WORK!
Old 08-06-2012, 09:52 AM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum and good luck. I'm not saying that the fire lapping is no good, I just don't know so I error on the side of being more conservative. IOSSO is a very good product and is "so" fine that you would wear your arm out long before you did any harm to your barrel. My Krieger barrel was very smooth after a few rounds as they did a good job of lapping............Rich
Old 12-14-2012, 03:11 PM
Platinum Member

Any of you guys get this done to your barrels? What are your experiences?

Got a couple of projects to get going and have been very interested in nitriding the barrels.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 12-14-2012, 03:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Any of you guys get this done to your barrels? What are your experiences?

Got a couple of projects to get going and have been very interested in nitriding the barrels.

Thanks,

Mark
Scroll back a few pages and then read forward.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:56 PM
Platinum Member

Yup, I read through the whole thread and saw that Skyking had a couple barrels done recently (at time of thread) but was wonder if others also had some done and if they had put many rounds through the tubes. I researched this quite a bit a while back and it seemed to good to be true. Have heard a lot of good reports and some mediocre reports.

Overall, sounds like it's worth a try as long as there are no horror stories.

FWIW, On break-in, I also spoke with the Benchmark guys and they emphasized minimal rounds down the tube for break-in, especially for overbores.
they had some sort of lapping process to prep the barrel for the treatment.

Guess I'll contact Joel again and get his opinion on break-in.

Still would like to hear from others with real experience.