Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics


Reply

Melonite barrel treatment

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #36  
Old 12-11-2011, 05:23 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Alaska
Posts: 3,501
Re: Melonite barrel treatment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd View Post
From the Krieger website...............Because the lay of the finish is in the direction of the bullet travel, very little is done to the bore during break-in, but the throat is another story. When your barrel is chambered, by necessity there are reamer marks left in the throat that are across the lands, i.e. across the direction of the bullet travel. In a new barrel they are very distinct; much like the teeth on a very fine file. When the bullet is forced into the throat, copper dust is removed from the jacket material and released into the gas which at this temperature and pressure is actually a plasma. The copper dust is vaporized in this plasma and is carried down the barrel. As the gas expands and cools, the copper comes out of suspension and is deposited in the bore. This makes it appear as if the source of the fouling is the bore when it is actually for the most part the new throat. If this copper is allowed to stay in the bore, and subsequent bullets and deposits are fired over it, copper which adheres well to itself, will build up quickly and may be difficult to remove later. So when we break in a barrel, our goal is to get the throat “polished” without allowing copper to build up in the bore. This is the reasoning for the "fire-one-shot-and-clean" procedure.
I'm sorry. I should have stated I've read Krieger's web site, Lilja's web site, and additional barrel manufacturer's web sites. Does Krieger's web site state if their commentary applies to all brands and quality of barrels? And more importantly, do they provide barrel break-in advice prior to melonite treatment that differs from the bullet firing break-in method being described in this Thread?
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 12-11-2011, 05:30 PM
Edd Edd is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 1,159
Re: Melonite barrel treatment

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
Explain the abrasive flow process if you would.....Rich
It's a process where an abrasive media could be pushed thru the barrel to deburr and polish the throat. Google Abrasive Flow Machining and you can read until you get tired of reading.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 12-11-2011, 05:33 PM
Edd Edd is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 1,159
Re: Melonite barrel treatment

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
I'm sorry. I should have stated I've read Krieger's web site, Lilja's web site, and additional barrel manufacturer's web sites. Does Krieger's web site state if their commentary applies to all brands and quality of barrels? And more importantly, do they provide barrel break-in advice prior to melonite treatment that differs from the bullet firing break-in method being described in this Thread?
Unless Krieger has changed their mind in the last 90 days, they won't give their blessing to nitriding.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 12-11-2011, 05:54 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Alaska
Posts: 3,501
Re: Melonite barrel treatment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd View Post
It's a process where an abrasive media could be pushed thru the barrel to deburr and polish the throat. Google Abrasive Flow Machining and you can read until you get tired of reading.
Does Krieger bless the abrasive flow machine method for polishing the throats in their barrels?
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 12-11-2011, 05:59 PM
Edd Edd is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 1,159
Re: Melonite barrel treatment

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
Does Krieger bless the abrasive flow machine method for polishing the throats in their barrels?
I've never asked them. I've not heard of anyone using AFM on rifle barrels.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 12-11-2011, 06:11 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern Id.
Posts: 3,441
Re: Melonite barrel treatment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd View Post
I've never asked them. I've not heard of anyone using AFM on rifle barrels.
I beg to differ but I spoke with Mike at Krieger about a week ago and I think it depends on "what is is?" Here is what Mike told me: "We don't endorse it at Kreiger because we don't want to be liable for other peoples work, but if done properly, I think it is a very worthwhile process"! He said the problem is, if done by someone who is not a professional, the heat necessary for the process to work is very close to the point where the barrel will lose its temper. He also said that Joel Kendrick is the best and he trusts his work.....Rich
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 12-11-2011, 06:19 PM
Edd Edd is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 1,159
Re: Melonite barrel treatment

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
I beg to differ
Who is using the AFM process?
Quote:
but I spoke with Mike at Krieger about a week ago and I think it depends on "what is is?" Here is what Mike told me: "We don't endorse it at Kreiger because we don't want to be liable for other peoples work, but if done properly, I think it is a very worthwhile process"! He said the problem is, if done by someone who is not a professional, the heat necessary for the process to work is very close to the point where the barrel will lose its temper. He also said that Joel Kendrick is the best and he trusts his work.....Rich
That's pretty much what they told me about 90 days ago. I don't know who I was talking to. Whoever it was also said he had been considering getting some barrels done for testing.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: Melonite barrel treatment
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Melonite Process BountyHunter Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 33 05-27-2014 07:31 PM
Black nitrade / melonite review of the guns i have had done Ring Gunsmithing 2 09-13-2011 08:34 PM
barrel treatment longer life retiredcpo Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 4 02-14-2011 11:00 AM
Bullet and Barrel treatment 300WMShooter Reloading 4 01-02-2010 05:25 PM
Sprinco plate + silver moly barrel treatment, IT WORKS!!! stevet Equipment Discussions 8 09-16-2006 03:29 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC