Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Melonite barrel treatment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 10:54 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Melonite barrel treatment

If someone can get a reasonable turnaround time I'm game for this. The turn around time is important as I'm getting a bit long in the tooth and have to wonder a bit when this adventuresome long range silliness is gonna wain.

The 270 AM is even longer in the tooth than I and I shoot (will shoot, that is) that sucker enough that the effects of this process would be noticeable, I'm sure.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:57 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
If someone can get a reasonable turnaround time I'm game for this. The turn around time is important as I'm getting a bit long in the tooth and have to wonder a bit when this adventuresome long range silliness is gonna wain.

The 270 AM is even longer in the tooth than I and I shoot (will shoot, that is) that sucker enough that the effects of this process would be noticeable, I'm sure.
I'll get you the number for them tomorrow and let you give them a call. I don't know if turn around times are different when dealing with "small" customer orders but they've usually been about a month from when we ship it out till when we get it back which means they turn parts around in 2 or 3 weeks.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:15 AM
Platinum Member

I talked to Joel Kendrick, the best guy to do it, and he told me he could turn a barrel around in a week. It is highly recommended that you shoot the barrel enough to break it in before the process. Any burrs or rough spots will mess up the process. Even in a well lapped barrel, break in is required.
Does anyone know what Remington used to coat there stainless 7 mag barrels back in the sixties? It must have been some sort of bluing but it didn't stick very well. The barrel would usually look like an apaloosa after a few years. I bead blasted one with 220 grit and it looked pretty good.......Rich
Old 12-11-2011, 11:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
I talked to Joel Kendrick, the best guy to do it, and he told me he could turn a barrel around in a week. It is highly recommended that you shoot the barrel enough to break it in before the process. Any burrs or rough spots will mess up the process. Even in a well lapped barrel, break in is required.
Does anyone know what Remington used to coat there stainless 7 mag barrels back in the sixties? It must have been some sort of bluing but it didn't stick very well. The barrel would usually look like an apaloosa after a few years. I bead blasted one with 220 grit and it looked pretty good.......Rich
I seemed to gather from somewhere that all REM 721 barrels were chrome lined. Never knew for certain but that was the word on my street.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:35 AM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
I seemed to gather from somewhere that all REM 721 barrels were chrome lined. Never knew for certain but that was the word on my street.
Got several 721/722 barrels in the pile. Not chrome lined. If they were (and my bore scope says they weren't) they sure pitted alot!
Old 12-11-2011, 12:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortgrass View Post
Got several 721/722 barrels in the pile. Not chrome lined. If they were (and my bore scope says they weren't) they sure pitted alot!

So much for street cred.

Not only do I now know, I now know I know! thanks for the straight skinny.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:57 PM
Platinum Member

Could someone explain why you need to shoot a few bullets thru the barrel before you have this done.