Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Melonite barrel treatment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 11:01 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Melonite barrel treatment

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by calib View Post
Thanks guys, I have not even shot the gun yet, I just gave it to my smith to chamber, thread and put the peaked on. So sounds like 3-5 shots is best? The cleanning sounds not so tough thanks for telling me your cleaning info elkaholic. I need to read more of the recent stuff, but are you guys still using mmi? What's the wait usuallyon one barrel?
Based on what my smith says and some other reading I've done, I'll go with H&M. I will be getting the actions and triggers done as well. I'll run a few down the tube until copper fouling is greatly dimmished. I'll use a light load of slow powder and heavy bullets for the break in. My smith wants me to give it an accuracy check before sending it off, so the break in will be par of that.

If you use Bore Tech to clean, do not use a brass or bronze jag. The Bore Tech will start eating them immediately and give a flase copper indication. I use nickle plated jags. To ensure all copper is out, on your last pass, stroke the bore a couple of times with the BTE and let it sit for about 40 min. If you get a white or very faint blue patch, you're done.

You might read this....

bore solvent

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 02-21-2013, 11:15 AM
Silver Member

Should I or could I do my brake and barrel in one piece?

I'll checkout that link and see what all in there. I am not excited about 6 weeks to get my stuff back, where is h and m at?
Old 02-21-2013, 11:28 AM
Platinum Member

All pieces to be treated should be disassembled. Last I talked with H&M, they were turning barrels in 4-6 days plus shipping time.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 02-21-2013, 11:34 AM
Silver Member

Ok, can you pm me some contact info
Old 02-21-2013, 11:42 AM
Platinum Member

Their contact info is here...

H&M Metal Processing: What is Black Nitride?

~ John Quincy Adams
Old 02-21-2013, 06:07 PM
SPONSOR

I contacted H&M a couple of years ago and was quoted a "batch charge" of about $200, whether I had one barrel or a dozen. Have things changed there? MMI charges me $60 per with a discount if I send more than 3 or 4 at a time.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortgrass View Post
I contacted H&M a couple of years ago and was quoted a "batch charge" of about $200, whether I had one barrel or a dozen. Have things changed there? MMI charges me $60 per with a discount if I send more than 3 or 4 at a time.
H&M quoted me $100 per barrel and $200 per gun to include action and any other steel parts. The 2 biggest reasons I am going with them is reports that their final finish is very good and they also will do any action.

~ John Quincy Adams