Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Melonite barrel treatment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 01:07 AM
Silver Member

Re: Melonite barrel treatment

do any of these places that nitride clean the barrels before they treat them? i want to do this, but am not sure about how clean i can get it to no nothing, no oils, no anything.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by calib View Post
do any of these places that nitride clean the barrels before they treat them? i want to do this, but am not sure about how clean i can get it to no nothing, no oils, no anything.
How worn is your barrel(s)? If well worn with firecracking, it's probably not a great idea.

To clean, I would recommend BTE or Wipeout. You do want all copper removed.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 02-21-2013, 01:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
You need to clean it before you send it in. I think you can do a good job if you take the time and use the right technique. You can only melonite with a barrel with few rounds through it or you can do more harm than good.
Get some bore tech eliminator and clean until you get no blue/green color on the patch (make sure you use a brush and rod that don't have copper/brass in them which will give you a false reading. I also use IOSSO bore paste if necessary to scrub the last of the copper out and it also smoothes the bore a little. When I get it perfectly clean, I run a couple of patches with rubbing alcohol and then dry patch. You should be good to go.
p.s. Make sure after all the scrubbing that you get any residue out of the neck and throat area. I usually wrap a patch around a brush and rotate it in the chamber before the final alcohol treatment......Rich
Old 02-21-2013, 02:11 AM
Silver Member

Thanks guys, I have not even shot the gun yet, I just gave it to my smith to chamber, thread and put the peaked on. So sounds like 3-5 shots is best? The cleanning sounds not so tough thanks for telling me your cleaning info elkaholic. I need to read more of the recent stuff, but are you guys still using mmi? What's the wait usuallyon one barrel?
Old 02-21-2013, 06:51 AM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Thanks guys, I have not even shot the gun yet, I just gave it to my smith to chamber, thread and put the peaked on. So sounds like 3-5 shots is best? The cleanning sounds not so tough thanks for telling me your cleaning info elkaholic. I need to read more of the recent stuff, but are you guys still using mmi? What's the wait usuallyon one barrel?
Sent 5 bbls. to MMI about 6 weeks ago. They must be busy!
Old 02-21-2013, 07:02 AM
Platinum Member

Good reading.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:39 AM
SPONSOR

I really don't think the gain in velocity should be the goal, here. Yes, you do get some, but to me, it's all about longevity,,,, barrel life (the side benefit of easy cleaning is a bonus). And, I could care less about the appearance as I could just CerraCoat it, anyway. I'm not looking for 'custom' bluing, in this instance.