Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Melonite barrel treatment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 02:41 PM
SPONSOR

Re: Melonite barrel treatment

rlanier77@hotmail.com is the 'other' contact for MMI. The last few I've sent I didn't do a "break-in" to. Chambered them, fired 2-3 rds. through 'um, examined/measured the fired cases, cleaned 'till spotless, and examined with the Hawk-Eye. If everthing is AOK, which it has been, I send 'um. The 'newer' they are with the fewest rds. through 'um, theory is, the longer they'll shoot (accurately). Don't just talk about it, try it! Just be sure they're spotless, inside and out, before shipping.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Rich, unless MMI has changed their process, you must still remove the barrel from the action, especially if that action is one they will not treat.
I probably wasn't clear, but I was referring to a new build......Rich
Old 02-20-2013, 04:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertyme View Post
There is a big difference between a factory Non-lapped barrel before and after nitride regarding copper.

Savage barrels nearly all shoot quite well. They also foul. Once nitrided there isn't fouling.

Another example: For the past two years I have been working with Benchmark 3 groove 224 barrels at 4800-5200 fps and until I Nitrided all but lathe turned bullets were coming apart. Nitrided stopped most bullets from coming apart.

When I went to a 16 twist barrel plus Nitride I have been able to shoot all bullets and No bullets are coming apart.

I have yet to wear out any Nitrided barrels and I figure the 6.5WSM and the 300RUM are well past 1000 rounds and accuracy is intact. Throat shows some wear but I haven't changed bullet seating at all. I see no need to change the seating depth for a really long time.

Neal
Neal.....have you tried the 3C Benchmark? I am considering one in a 6.5. What is your opinion with Benchmark vs the most highly regarded barrel makers?......Rich
Old 02-20-2013, 04:48 PM

im curious, how many of you who have a melonited barrel have lost velocity after meloniting a barrel? ive heard people say that they lost velocity and some say they increase velocity. Im trying to come up with a scientific reason why they would lose velocity, and the only thing i can come up with would be a rough bore that wasnt fully smoothed out during break in or would there be any other reasons you can think of?

also, does a melonited barrel somehow affect barrel harmonics due to the increased hardness?
Old 02-20-2013, 05:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem700man View Post
im curious, how many of you who have a melonited barrel have lost velocity after meloniting a barrel? ive heard people say that they lost velocity and some say they increase velocity. Im trying to come up with a scientific reason why they would lose velocity, and the only thing i can come up with would be a rough bore that wasnt fully smoothed out during break in or would there be any other reasons you can think of?

also, does a melonited barrel somehow affect barrel harmonics due to the increased hardness?
There are only two possible reasons that I could think of:
One would be that the bore had less friction, therefore the charge would have to be increased to build the same pressure (this did not prove to be true in my barrel) I gained approx. 25' with the same charge. The other would be their chronograph was off
Old 02-20-2013, 06:15 PM
Silver Member

9 Barrels and all increased velocity. Most increased 2-300fps depending on length. 17"- 19" handgun barrels averaged 80-120fps velocity increase.

Decrease: I have too many friends using the process and haven't heard of anything but increase. If there is a decrease in velocity I would guess that the barrel was on the large side of max diameter. Add Nitride and there would be an increase.

I have only 3 groove barrels from Benchmark! I have also requested that they hand lap a taper (choke) in the barrel like their world famous rimfire barrels. I have shot pretty much every barrel out there and the only barrel that I have shot, that I think is an equal to Benchmark is ones made By Boots Obermeyer!

They lap their barrels several times in the barrel making nitriding process. In my opinion and from experience their barrels are broke in before they leave the shop. Nitrided before I get there and I can honestly say I have never found a spot of copper in any barrel.

My wifes 6.5WSM on a 19" handgun barrel is shooting ( bugholing)every three shot group using reloader 17 under 100gr partitions @ 3500fps. Before Nitride it was 3380! 12fps spread!

I have also increased powder in some cases up to several grains but with me whereever that upper accuracy node is, is where I stay. It just so happened with the 6.5 I hit the accuracy node with both the 130 Accubond and the 100 Partition the first load out and it was smoking in both cases. Hopefully she will kill a moose this year with the 130 grain.

Neal
Old 02-20-2013, 07:43 PM
Silver Member

I agree with ELKAHOLIC on his thoughts of the decrease in velocity