Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Melonite barrel treatment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 01:06 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Melonite barrel treatment

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhibbard24 View Post
this whole thread is full of good input. lets keep it going.

H&M looks like a real good company that knows what they're doing. No offense to MMI Trutec because I have heard many great things about them, but I can't seem to get ahold of them or get a email reply.
If you want info on the MMI process, call Benchmark Barrels. You must deal through them or one other "sub-contractor" that MMI deals with regarding treating barrels.

You can call and deal directly with H&M, however, you will probably want to work through your gunsmith in the process because anything to be treated such as barrel, action and trigger, must be disassembled prior to sending it in.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 02-20-2013, 01:28 PM
Silver Member

All dippers and barrel makers are not equal.

All my Benchmarks were dipped prior to a shot being fired through the barrel by me. They are the smoothest bored barrel I have ever shot.

I have seen some barrels take a lot to break in so in my opinion breaking in those barrel would be sound advice I guess.

I had two factory barrels done before they were shot. One was lapped by Benchmark prior to shooting and one without lap. They both shot .5 or less when I got them with the handlapped 300 RUM bugholing.

Neal
Old 02-20-2013, 01:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
If you go through Benchmark for a MMI treatment, Benchmark says they like virgin barrels except for maybe a function test shot. They have their own process for "breaking it in". My smith talked me into going with H&M because he like the finished product better. They do a slightly cooler dip and they will do cast actions as well. MMI is picky about which actions they will do.
Thanks Mark, I did not know that......Rich
Old 02-20-2013, 01:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertyme View Post

All my Benchmarks were dipped prior to a shot being fired through the barrel by me. They are the smoothest bored barrel I have ever shot.

I have seen some barrels take a lot to break in so in my opinion breaking in those barrel would be sound advice I guess.

I had two factory barrels done before they were shot. One was lapped by Benchmark prior to shooting and one without lap. They both shot .5 or less when I got them with the handlapped 300 RUM bugholing.

Neal
Well, I sure like that idea better if it works. Taking the barrel off and on is not my idea of a good time if it isn't necessary.......thanks/Rich
Old 02-20-2013, 01:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
Well, I sure like that idea better if it works. Taking the barrel off and on is not my idea of a good time if it isn't necessary.......thanks/Rich
Rich, unless MMI has changed their process, you must still remove the barrel from the action, especially if that action is one they will not treat.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 02-20-2013, 01:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertyme View Post

Neal
Neal, On the factory barrels, was there a difference in fouling and cleaning between the one lapped and the one not lapped?

~ John Quincy Adams
Old 02-20-2013, 02:01 PM
Silver Member

There is a big difference between a factory Non-lapped barrel before and after nitride regarding copper.

Savage barrels nearly all shoot quite well. They also foul. Once nitrided there isn't fouling.

Another example: For the past two years I have been working with Benchmark 3 groove 224 barrels at 4800-5200 fps and until I Nitrided all but lathe turned bullets were coming apart. Nitrided stopped most bullets from coming apart.

When I went to a 16 twist barrel plus Nitride I have been able to shoot all bullets and No bullets are coming apart.

I have yet to wear out any Nitrided barrels and I figure the 6.5WSM and the 300RUM are well past 1000 rounds and accuracy is intact. Throat shows some wear but I haven't changed bullet seating at all. I see no need to change the seating depth for a really long time.

Neal