Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Melonite barrel treatment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2012, 11:02 AM
Silver Member

Re: Melonite barrel treatment

Since Starting the Nitride treatment some years ago I have a total of nine barrels with the treatment. 5 were before the barrel was shot and 4 after the barrel was broke in whatever that number was I haven't a clue as all barrels break in with different number of rounds.

When Benchmark got the 6.5WSM Reamer a friend of theirs built the 6.5WSM the same time I built my 3 groove 6.5. We both Nitrided our barrel through the Benchmark system. Last I heard he had 1350 rounds or there abouts through his barrel and it still shoots well. I have over 1100 rounds through mine now and it still bugholes.

My 300 RUM has a lot of rounds down it as well. It is still bugholing as well! I have carried several of these tools around and in the Alaska environement and the Nitrided pieces themselves have not rusted. The trigger groups removed for the Nitriding process in some cases have superficial surface rust.

I can not find a downside and have nothing but positive to say about Ferratic Nitride other than it has become vary popular and in that capacity it has become expensive. The process is still done by the pound and the one company in Minnesota charges $250. for hundreds of pounds that are dipped at one time.

Neal
Old 12-15-2012, 02:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Haven't heard that it was a safety issue but maybe it is? But I have heard you definitely don't want it done to any barrels with any fire cracking or throat erosion. I've heard less than 50 rounds through it and the guys at Benchmark winced when I said I was planing to put 5-10 rounds through a 300 Ultra. Their suggestion was maybe 2-3 rounds by the smith after smithing for the usual function check and let them (Benchmark) prep the barrel.
I think I'm going to shoot mine enough to confirm the barrel is a shooter before I pay to melonite treat it. Most after market barrels shoot well. But every now and then everybody can produce a lemon. I have not read that there are any health and safety issues with the treatment of barrels or actions.

A 300 Ultra would be a great candidate for the melonite treatment to my way of thinking. Perhaps the melonited Ultra barrel will last as long as an untreated 300 Win Mag barrel.

Last edited by phorwath; 12-15-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertyme View Post
Since Starting the Nitride treatment some years ago I have a total of nine barrels with the treatment. 5 were before the barrel was shot and 4 after the barrel was broke in whatever that number was I haven't a clue as all barrels break in with different number of rounds.

When Benchmark got the 6.5WSM Reamer a friend of theirs built the 6.5WSM the same time I built my 3 groove 6.5. We both Nitrided our barrel through the Benchmark system. Last I heard he had 1350 rounds or there abouts through his barrel and it still shoots well. I have over 1100 rounds through mine now and it still bugholes.

My 300 RUM has a lot of rounds down it as well. It is still bugholing as well! I have carried several of these tools around and in the Alaska environement and the Nitrided pieces themselves have not rusted. The trigger groups removed for the Nitriding process in some cases have superficial surface rust.

I can not find a downside and have nothing but positive to say about Ferratic Nitride other than it has become vary popular and in that capacity it has become expensive. The process is still done by the pound and the one company in Minnesota charges $250. for hundreds of pounds that are dipped at one time.

Neal
he only problem i can think of is you cant have the barrel set back and rechambered if it is a 'hummer' barrel.

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE CUSTOM

"Dope that scope and tickle that giggle switch"

~Doublezranch

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 12-15-2012, 03:46 PM
Gold Member

The benefits that I see in this thread seem to be similar to shooting moly tumbled bullets ..
I get a cooler barrel, higher velocity and greatly eased cleaning when I shoot moly tumbled bullets.
I have also wondered it a bore that has had a number of Mollied bullets fired thru it is more corrosion resistant than one with uncoated bullets fired thru it.
Any one know?
Old 12-15-2012, 05:16 PM
SPONSOR

Melonite benifits shouldn't even be considered as being the same or equivalent to moly. Shooting an untreated barrel with moly coated bullets and you'll still have fire cracking caused from the hot gases. I'm sold on it! Many of the rifles I build on speculation I have the barrel melonite/nitided. I, also, offer this to many of my customers who have me building rifles with 'high intensity' cartridges. I started using it on my own rifles and it didn't take long to realize that it's no BS. I've known of some who only fire 2-3 rounds and send 'um off. I've had nothing but positive results from this process and will continue to use it in the future. Who cares if the barrel can't be 'set back' when you are getting about half again as many accurate rounds down the tube as you would with an untreated barrel. I decided to try Melonite/Blk. Nitride because some bench rest shooters were using it. They wouldn't even consider it if it effected accuracy in a negitive way. It is a process that has been used for many years on other 'high load', high precision parts.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:18 PM
Platinum Member

I've put 500 rounds thru my 30/375 S.I. now and had almost 200 thru it before melonite. I was kind of worried about that but I seem to be ok. The only real difference I see so far is about 25-30 fps velocity increase. The barrel is a Krieger and bugholed before and after treatment. It had a really smooth bore to begin with so I didn't really notice much difference in cleanup. I had my action melonited as well and noticed that it has a super smooth bolt and I also like the fact that it is impervious to most everything..........Rich
Old 12-15-2012, 05:22 PM
Silver Member

Great reply Shortgrass.

What most do not understand about this type of process since most and then some are not machinists.
This process has been used for decades so our nice edges stay on our cutting tools longer.

Have you seen the different colors on drill bits to end mills? There are other processes out there that add to the material one is having heat treated.

Rich

Have you increased your powder charge? I have done it to several barrels and with 1-3 grain powder I jumped noticably in velocity.One did not enjoy the three grains so had to drop to one grain increase to retain my bughole accuracy.

I did forget to put the top ports in the brake of my 458 Lott a couple years ago prior to Nitriding. I had six high speed drill bits and No carbide .200 drill bits.
1. It was a bugger putting a dimple in the material to chase with a drill bit.
2. Took me 3 bits to drill 6 .200 holes and it took 2 bits to drill the first 3 holes!

Remember that it is hard (outside) then soft then hard on the inside!

Neal