Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Melonite barrel treatment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Platinum Member

Melonite barrel treatment

I am in the process of putting together a build and I have a BAT melonite treated action. I am very seriously considering the same treatment on my new Krieger barrel.
Has anyone had this done or have any hard facts pro or con? I spoke with Joel Kendrick, whom I understand is the best guy to have do it. I am hearing some phenominal barrel life reports as well as velocity increases with no downside. What do you guys think?.....rich
Old 12-01-2011, 04:44 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Melonite barrel treatment

When did you talk to Joel last? Things went crazy this summer with MMI but I found an other contact but by the time I made him out it was to late to get my barrel done before hunting season.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 12-01-2011, 05:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
When did you talk to Joel last? Things went crazy this summer with MMI but I found an other contact but by the time I made him out it was to late to get my barrel done before hunting season.
Spoke with him today! I also spoke to Mike at Krieger and he seemed to think if it was done by someone who knew what they were doing, it was a good idea......rich
Old 12-01-2011, 05:46 PM
Platinum Member

That's good to hear, a lot of guys got thrown under the bus this summer. I had a barrel out for 6 months and ended up with it returned without nitride and a large BS story from someone!!!

I may send a couple barrels out if you have good luck, I'll chamber up a flame thrower!!! MMI seems to be the best source, there was a thread on LRH by someone who had great luck and he also had a break in process for it, man I wanted my last barrel nitrided!!!!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 12-01-2011, 07:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
That's good to hear, a lot of guys got thrown under the bus this summer. I had a barrel out for 6 months and ended up with it returned without nitride and a large BS story from someone!!!

I may send a couple barrels out if you have good luck, I'll chamber up a flame thrower!!! MMI seems to be the best source, there was a thread on LRH by someone who had great luck and he also had a break in process for it, man I wanted my last barrel nitrided!!!!
Rhian...Joel told me he could turn it around in a week!.....Rich
Old 12-01-2011, 08:16 PM
Silver Member

There's a thread in the Gunsmithing section here, that I started the other day on nitriding and various other potential throat/barrel treatments. In that thread, I posted a video of Joel at a SHOT show talking about salt-bath nitriding and it's effects.

There's also a link to a study that was done in Korea on rifle barrel treatments for their military's small arms to increase longevity. It's a good read also.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:18 PM
Platinum Member

An informative article including information from Joel Kendrick. Article dated 2009.
Melonite Surface Treatment for Barrels, Bolts, and Actions Daily Bulletin

Sounds like a CM barrel with the melonite treatment will be very corrosion resistant. No bluing or any other surface treatment required.

Interesting that Joel states that a stainless barrel may actually be a little less corrosion resistant after the melonite treatment.

One more article:
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...-is-impressed/