Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Medium Range Big Game Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2013, 08:22 AM
Gold Member

Re: Medium Range Big Game Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovastafford View Post
I talked to my smith and he said I would have a hard time seating bullets to mag length without using up case volume with a short action and the wsm case. I think I may just re barrel it to a .308 with a lighter fluted barrel.
You can get the Wyatt magazine box install that get you almost 3.000" OAL. You can take a Berger 185gr VLD bullet 1.378" long seat it in a 300WSM case and the base of the bullet at the start of the shoulder over all length is less than 3.000".

If it was me I'd get some cases and bullets that you want to shoot see what you come up with and your gunsmith should be able to throat for those bullets. My new 300WSM cases are 2.050" long.

!80gr Nosler AB is 1.380" long and if you were to use SAAMI spec OAL load density may be a problem. It would be ideal to use action little longer than short action but been happy with result for Kreiger and Broughton barrel 300WSM.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:12 PM
Gold Member

Re: Medium Range Big Game Build

I talked to him today about doing a 7 saum or 7 wsm with the wyatt's box. He said he would see what he could do and get back to me.