Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Mcmillan Stocks to stiff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2009, 05:14 PM

Mcmillan Stocks to stiff

I'm having a few ideas for some new rifles. For some reason I want to have a longrange varmint rig built. So in an endless search I have decided I want to have a laminted stock.

I was reading on a website of a gunsmith where he made mention that fiberglass stocks are to brittle. HMM is there any truth to that or is it just plain old BS. Let's face it Mcmillan stocks have been in the winner circle for years and proven out in the field. I think I know my answer and I am stupid for asking this.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:17 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Mcmillan Stocks to stiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas View Post
I'm having a few ideas for some new rifles. For some reason I want to have a longrange varmint rig built. So in an endless search I have decided I want to have a laminted stock.

I was reading on a website of a gunsmith where he made mention that fiberglass stocks are to brittle. HMM is there any truth to that or is it just plain old BS. Let's face it Mcmillan stocks have been in the winner circle for years and proven out in the field. I think I know my answer and I am stupid for asking this.
Just my guess now..
I think that wood can have great vibration dampening. But it is difficult to get the transition from the metall action to the wood so that the action can relay the vibration into the stock. Then the moisture issue with wood.

Another theorie might be to have a stock as stiff as possible bedded as good as possible to the action. The weight of the stock will directly hold against the recoil.
My guess is the high end stocks will be more and more made of carbon fiber in the future. I have experimented with wood and carbon wich worked well for me anyway. Lately also with russian hollow glass fiber and carbon composite stocks. Apparently the hollow fibers have apart from high stiffnes values also very good dampening behaviour. Hell knows if we can notice it in reality.

I'd go with composite.
edi

Last edited by ejg; 04-20-2009 at 09:27 AM. Reason: spelling...
Old 04-20-2009, 07:08 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Mcmillan Stocks to stiff

Yep i'm with Edi on this one go with the composite. From what i understand stiffness is what you want and like you said Mcmillan have been proven in the field and on the firing lines