Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Mcmillan EOL Outdoosman Family Outing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2012, 01:54 AM
Platinum Member

Mcmillan EOL Outdoosman Family Outing

Just had a beautiful weekend to get outdoors. So my family went out and tested some long range loads at various ranges with the Mcmillan Outdoorsman test rifle. We all had so much fun I wanted to mention it before I got the pictures ready to download. The rifle is just a pure pleasure to shoot and the entire family enjoys shooting and hunting with it. My wife and son love it because of the light weight and ease of handling. My wife doesn't like my heavy long range rifles but loves to shoot this one long range it has such a good feel to it. Mcmillan thought of everything on this one from the slick feeding action to the ergonomic feel and precise craftmanship. It feels like a handy carry rifle but has incredible long range capability.

It is chambered in 300 EOL magnum which is a 300 RUM with a diffent throat for the use of long range VLD hunting bullets like the 210 Berger. We started out on a 400 yard target to check zero and let my wife and son get a good feel for the rifle. We dialed it in for 400 yards and shot a beautiful group right at an inch about 1/2" to the left of the bullseye. Great way to start off a good range session, .25 MOA for starters. We went on to shoot it at varying distances out to about .75 miles. I can't remember a group that didn't hold 1 MOA. I was getting my drops dialed in for my upcoming bear hunts. They are spot and stalk hunts so the range could be out there a ways. I really just can't say enough about the beauty of having such a light, easy handling hunting rifle capable of such extreme accuracy.

It is pushing 1 AM but just wanted to get a thread started about another range session with the rifle. I will be out of town tommorrow but Tuesday I will get some pictures up of some targets and all the fun shooting it. All of our groups were with my Retumbo accuracy load and the 210 Berger long range hunting bullet. I will list all that data with the target pictures. Even with the lightweight rifle and the heavy 210 grain bullets along with heavy powder charges my wife thought the rifle was very pleasant to shoot. When we are concentrating on the target and the rifle fires the recoil is just not noticeable. Top rifle design, accuracy and the excellent muzzle brake make this rifle a pleasure to shoot.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:44 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Mcmillan EOL Outdoosman Family Outing

LTLR,

Thanks for the rifle review. Sounds like a very nice setup.

Just for clarification, is the cartridge 300 RUM?

And, they're just calling the chamber 300 EOL magnum to indicate that it's throated longer?

Have/will they publish a chamber/reamer print? Or, is this something that one could get direct from PTG?

Would there be any concern shooting factory 300 RUM ammo? I wouldn't think so.

I always knew that smiths would do custom throating on many cartridges. I just wasn't aware that they'd change and/or trademark it as a new name until Carlock announced the Edge +P which alledgedly is more sophisticated than simply increasing throat/freebore. ...curious if there's a new trend here.

Thanks!
Richard
Old 04-24-2012, 08:54 PM
Platinum Member

Here are the target pictures and a few family pictures at the range shooting it. This rifle just continues to shoot amazing groups for a light hunting rifle. 10" at 1250 yards is pretty sweet. The three 400 yard groups on one target shot by me, my wife and son I thought was nice with all in the +1" range.

It is the 300 RUM and shoots factory cartridges excellent. I posted some of those targets in the review I did in the long range hunting forum. They will probably keep the reamer proprietary but I do not know. Hope all enjoy the pictures. It seams 91.5 to 92 grains Retumbo works well with the 210 Berger in this rifle.

Mcmillan EOL Outdoosman Family Outing-mcmillan-family-008.jpg

Mcmillan EOL Outdoosman Family Outing-mcmln-fmly-018.jpg

Mcmillan EOL Outdoosman Family Outing-mcmln-fmly-023.jpg

Mcmillan EOL Outdoosman Family Outing-mcmln-fmly-031.jpg

Mcmillan EOL Outdoosman Family Outing-mcmln-fmly-026.jpg
Old 04-24-2012, 09:05 PM
Platinum Member

The 1250 yard target. 8" low and 8" right but good group. I am getting this baby dialed in with my drops for upcoming hunts.

Mcmillan EOL Outdoosman Family Outing-mcmln-fmly-024.jpg
Old 04-24-2012, 09:28 PM
Platinum Member

I dont own but 1 30-30 pre-64 that I was ahnded down last year.That rifle makes me want a 30 cal
Old 04-24-2012, 09:51 PM
Platinum Member

Your 338 Norma is a good one also.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:11 PM
Platinum Member

I can't remember from the last thread but this is the 7.5 lb gun right, not the heavier one?

That is some impressive shooting my friend!

Scot E.