Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

McMillan Edge Clear Coat Finish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2014, 04:13 PM
Gold Member

McMillan Edge Clear Coat Finish

I'm wondering if anybody has a McMillan Edge fill stock with only a clear-coat finish (no paint). McMillan sent me a couple of pictures of what the finish looks like, showing the carbon fiber, but I have a couple of concerns.

1. the clear coat finish has a bit more shine than the dull/matte paint finish. (McMillan confirmed this over the phone).
2. I'm worried the finish might be less grippy than the paint, especially when it's wet. McMillan did say that they still include the texture on the grip and the forearm, so their perspective is that grip will not be an issue ....

I think the shine will be similar to the molded in paint colors, so that's not my main concern. Is there anybody out there that could post a picture of the entire stock and rifle if you have one of these finishes? And pass along any experience of what the finish feels like? too smooth? other advice to pass along?

Here's the pics from McMillan:
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
McMillan Edge Clear Coat Finish-photo-1.jpg   McMillan Edge Clear Coat Finish-photo-2.jpg  

Old 02-22-2014, 10:19 PM
Silver Member

Re: McMillan Edge Clear Coat Finish

I saw them at the shot show and thought they were no more shiny than the molded in finish. But found they are a little more glossy than the Manners with the same clear option.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:55 PM
Platinum Member

Are you going to paint over it?
Old 02-22-2014, 11:05 PM
Gold Member

No. If I go with the clear finish the goal is to see the carbon fiber. The stock is going to be a game scout for full custom 338 RUM hunting rifle. Have not made a decision yet, I figured I would try and get some input from guys here first.

If I get paint it would be either all black or maybe black with gray and/or olive speckles. Kind of seems like paint might be a better choice for a hunting rifle.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:23 PM
Platinum Member

The light weight is attractive, I still like a painted stock I guess. The carbon fiber looks good, but tactical I guess. The finish doesn't prevent from painting over it does it?
Old 02-22-2014, 11:30 PM
Gold Member

McMillan said they would paint over it if I didn't like it. So that is definitely an option. I agree that paint is cleaner looking. Just might be cool to have something a little different I guess. But from a functional standpoint it seems like the clear finish would be more slippery.... I've got an A3 edge on a 300 win mag in flat black already though. So need something at least a little different.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:30 AM
Silver Member

I have a clear finish carbon Manners on order. Curious what it's gonna look like