Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

A-max's for hunting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-14-2010, 08:09 AM
Platinum Member

Re: A-max's for hunting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Eichele View Post
I have had the opposite experience. IME, the AMAX react nothing like the SMK. If anything, they open too easily. This makes them great for the 308 and 708. At 300 RUM speeds to 500 yards they detonate violently. They are great for hunting up to deer size critters at medium velocities.
If I remember correctly, I was shooting the 162 A-Max at 3,150 ft/sec from my 7STW and did not have any bullets "detonate" or explode on the surface. There was certainly some internal "detonation".

I think that you would have to have even greater impact velocity before you had a problem with the 162's.

Unread 02-14-2010, 08:35 AM
Platinum Member

My only experience thus far with the A-Max was with HSM 178 gr A-Max in .300 WM. I shot an antelope at 338 yards and performed very well.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an ***hole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Unread 02-14-2010, 01:45 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmint Hunter View Post
If I remember correctly, I was shooting the 162 A-Max at 3,150 ft/sec from my 7STW and did not have any bullets "detonate" or explode on the surface. There was certainly some internal "detonation".

I think that you would have to have even greater impact velocity before you had a problem with the 162's.
I never said detonate on the surface!

I have shot deer with the RUM without any surface detonation. I would however rather use a more stout bullet at the high velocities in the future in case I needed a quartering shot as the entire bullet have completely fragmented inside the vital area. I would hate to see that total fragmentation on a quartering away shot where the bullet may never reach the vitals. I prefer accubonds for the RUM and AMAX's for the 308, 708 as they will penetrate deeper with these calibers than the RUMs. Even though I feel that way, they fly so dang good, I still found myself out there with my RUM and 178 AMAX's. Maybe that makes me a hypocrite. Either way, they have not dissapointed.

Make no mistake, the AMAX is my favorate bullet for hunting up to deer size game. I would never recomend them for elk and bigger no matter what the velocity.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Unread 02-14-2010, 05:13 PM
Gold Member

Michael, what about hogs? They are built a little tougher. Think it will work on a shoulder shot? I would shoot it from my 300 win mag or 308. I have both 178s and 208s at my disposal. Plan on using 150gr interbonds for the <100 yard shots shall they present themselves, if I can load them to have similar POI at 100yards.
Unread 02-14-2010, 07:13 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

I have never shot a hog with any bullet let alone an AMAX. From everything I have ever read or heard about hogs shoulders, I would not personally ever attempt a shoulder shot on any mature hog with the 30 cal AMAXs up to the 178. I might try the 208 ONCE to see how they would work. If I wanted insurance on good performance on the hogs shoulder, I would stick with the Interbond.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Unread 02-14-2010, 07:53 PM
Gold Member

This pig took a 162 a-max in the shoulder at 384 yds. Muzzle velocity of 3080 fps. Bullet impacted centre of shoulder, from memory hit the shoulder blade and then went up in to the spine (shot was taken from below at angle of 5-10 degrees) and disintegrated, did not exit. Pig DRT!

Unread 02-14-2010, 08:28 PM
Platinum Member

The Berger VLD's are being touted as one of the best hunting bullets available. I find that the A-Max bullet has similar terminal performance, similarly high BC's, cost less, and are easier to find accurate loads for.

While no bullet is perfect for all hunting applications, the A-Max seems hard to beat for shooting deer, antelope, etc @ most distances.

I must admit though, I have been shooting quite a few Accubonds lately and they would perform better under some circumstances..