Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

A-max's for hunting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2010, 05:14 PM
Silver Member

A-max's for hunting?

I've seen several say they use their A-max's for deer hunting. How do they perform. I'll be using them in a 7mm RM Sendero. I'm used to my Sierra gamekings in my 308 but would like to try the Amax's for the reported accuracy at longer distances.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:11 PM
Platinum Member

Re: A-max's for hunting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickdavis81 View Post
I've seen several say they use their A-max's for deer hunting. How do they perform. I'll be using them in a 7mm RM Sendero. I'm used to my Sierra gamekings in my 308 but would like to try the Amax's for the reported accuracy at longer distances.
I haven't personally used the A-Max for hunting, but as a bullet maker, I think the construction lends itself to consistent expansion at longer ranges i.e. thin jacket and ballistic tip. I have heard good reports and am thinking of trying some in my 6.5 as I don't make that caliber........Rich
Old 02-12-2010, 06:21 PM
Platinum Member

I use the 162s in my 7mm SAUM, they work like a charm, everything they hit drops right there.

However, I don't use them inside 250 yds. I put a round loaded with 160 gr Accubond in the chamber for anything that might come by relatively close. If something "out there" presents itself I just switch to the Amax, squeeze the trigger, and go get my deer. usually

Chris
Old 02-12-2010, 06:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmagman View Post
I use the 162s in my 7mm SAUM, they work like a charm, everything they hit drops right there.

However, I don't use them inside 250 yds. I put a round loaded with 160 gr Accubond in the chamber for anything that might come by relatively close. If something "out there" presents itself I just switch to the Amax, squeeze the trigger, and go get my deer. usually

Chris
I like your post. I think you know what you're talking about!........Rich
Old 02-12-2010, 07:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I think you know what you're talking about
Well.......My wife would disagree with that, but I appreciate it.

Chris
Old 02-12-2010, 07:12 PM
Platinum Member

I've shot several deer with the 162gr A-Max from my 7STW. I think the closest was about 200 yds. High shoulder impacts dropped them on the spot and rarely exited. Traditional hits behind the shoulder always exited and left silver dollar size exit wounds. These deer went from a few yards to maybe 35yds but not any farther.

I've got nothing but good things to say about the A-Max bullets for whitetail hunting.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:21 PM
Gold Member

was just pondering this myself. Talked to a friend who said A-max's arent good for hunting saying they are like the sierra MK and since he's a lot more experienced than I and i don't have any scientific data to back up what i think i accepted it.

However, I used 178 A-maxs at 2550 fps from my .308win in texas last fall on a hog hunt and was very happy with performance. 5 shots, 4 DRTs 1st ran off a little ways. One head shot at 80yards, began to expand and took chunk out of the opposite side of the skull, hog dropped with a piece of corn still between the teeth. Second, third and fourth all dropped on the spot with spine shots at 240-260yards, last one took a solid hit through the shoulder and disappeared into some impassable brush, spent 1.5hrs looking for bugger but very hard to follow a blood trail when you have to keep going left and right around massive thorn bushes... no luck there... But by the looks of the blood spray on the opposite side of where i shot him, he couldnt have gone far...

Conclusion:
On pigs, the a-max has worked ok, but i did hit spine 3 times and brain once, shoulder shot got away. Blood spray looked promising however. Will try to recover a bullet next time.

-Oliver