Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

max effective barrel length for .243?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 01:29 PM
Silver Member

Re: max effective barrel length for .243?

go for it ..... the shorter barrel that is. work with you smith and log all data and records of velocities and loads and let us know.

like you said, there is no set rule of thumb for exact velocity loss per inch of barrel lost. it is all determined by that cartridge and how efficient of a design it is. I bet you would be happy with a 23"

hell, look at the .308s out there with 20" barrels that shoot bugholes and are at the average speeds for that round
Old 02-20-2013, 03:22 PM

What he said ^^^^^

If it's an MTU and you think there's ever a slight chance of a suppressor being used, I'd keep it at 22" to 23".

I just built a .243 with a Bartlein MTU for a customer that insisted on it being cut to 20" with a Badger FTE brake. It's his coyote hunting rifle in Nevada. It went into a KRG Whiskey 3 chassis and that little rifle is surprisingly quick and handy for such a truck axle tube. It's shooting in the .1's and .2's very consistently with 115 DTAC's but I don't know what his velocity is. I'll ask him and get back to you on it.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:22 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
I've been running .243's in my tac rifle match guns for years and burned out more barrels than I can count. Mostly Bartleins with some Kriegers too. I've always built mine with a 7.5 twist and shot only 115 DTAC's. They've all been 26" MTU contours and velocities run around 3K. I could get more out of them but I don't step on them too hard so my brass will last longer. My load was usually Lapua brass, either CCI BR2's or Fed 210 M's, and H4350 powder. Some of my customers ran 4831 short cut and had good results with it too.

Those were heavy rifles for tactical/practical style competition so probably not a good way to go for a hunting rifle. I would recommend you have your smith call you and tell you what he gets for velocity loss after every inch. I bet you don't see a whole lot of difference down to 25" and I would stop him at 24". I would think you could get a 105 Berger close to 3100 fps from a 24 and it would be a little nicer in the field than a 27.

As a side note, barrel length is measured by the actual barrel itself as it lays on a table. Not from lugs or anything else, just the actual barrel. Depending on the receiver manufacturer and the lug thickness there's usually about one inch of barrel from the front of the lug going back into the receiver.
Hey Marc... can I ask how many grains of H4350 you are running on that first 243?
Old 02-21-2013, 10:55 PM

Yes I shot it in several different barrels almost always the same. With a 115 grain BN coated DTAC I used between 42 and 42.6 grains of H4350. As I remember it would have been about a grain and a half less using the same bullet without the BN coating.

Marc