Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

mausers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2011, 09:41 PM
Gold Member

Re: mausers?

I concur on the CZ actions. I have a couple of those myself and absolutely love them. Not all gunsmiths will work on them, though, because the barrel threads are metric and require some different tooling to cut the threads.

The current production Zastava commercial mauser actions are also excellent mausers to build a custom on. In comparison to a milsurp mauser, they require a lot less work and you get modern steel in the bargain.

If you choose carefully, you can have a very nice rifle on a mauser action at a reasonable cost.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:27 PM
Silver Member

i'll have to check out the cz rifles. I really like the mauser actions and did not know a cz was so identical.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:22 PM
Silver Member

anyone else putting a mauser through the paces? lets see some more pictures!
Old 07-25-2011, 06:14 AM
Platinum Member

Back in the mid eighties I scrimped and saved to go hunting in Africa. I bought a Mark X Whitwoth Express Rifle in 375H&H. It was made in Manchester, England, and had the Yugoslavian Mauser action. With the old Winchester 270gr. Power Points it would cosistantly clover leaf 3 shots at 100 yards and still does with my stock pile of that ammo. It has been back to Africa a couple of times. It's not bedded in a gorgeous walnut stock, never touched the adjustment on the scope and still shoots to the same point of aim. I bought the rifle new for $450.00, the going price at the time. Probably, except for a few battle scares, the prettiest gun I own.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:44 PM
Silver Member

Here is my current project still in the works. Barrelled action just got back form the smith yesterday. Should be CeraKoted by this weekend.

FN action donor was a JC Higgins M50
Krieger 1:9 .284/7mm #3 Sporter contour finished at 27" with counter bored 11degree target crown
.280 Ackley Improved chamber cut with PT&G's bushing type Match reamer
Timney Featherweight Trigger
Tubb's Speedlock firing pin/spring
B&C Medalist Varmint stock skim bedded with Devcon

Still to come: EGW 20MOA base and IOR Valdata 10x w/MP8 reticle
Old 07-26-2011, 04:22 PM
Bronze Member

Hey mojo, I have got my 6.5x55 on the Fn action almost readdy to go. just waiting for the darn dies. Should be here any day. Your rifle looks great... GB
Old 07-27-2011, 01:43 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigstrap3 View Post
Hey mojo, I have got my 6.5x55 on the Fn action almost readdy to go. just waiting for the darn dies. Should be here any day. Your rifle looks great... GB
Sweet, your gonna love that Swede. Great cartridge. If you need any load info to get you started let me know.