Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Mauser or Savage as a start? (first accurate rifle)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 09:25 AM

Mauser or Savage as a start? (first accurate rifle)

I had a Mosin Nagant for a while and could get 2" groups at 100 yards with surp ammo, an ATI scope mount, and a cheap BSA 22LR scope shooting from a truck hood resting on a boat cushion. The one deer I shot with that gun went down without one step. This year I missed one with the Mosin at 175 yards or so and bad quality SP hunting ammo.

I have moved on from that and it's time to build or buy something a little better. I'd like to either buy a Savage or Mauser and shoot it as is and build from there if I'm not satisfied. I don't mind working on my own stuff but I'm not a gun-smith either. It seems like with the right jig a scope mount can be drilled and tapped on the Mauser. I don't really plan on using irons on either but that could change if I can learn to shoot them safely/accurately for hunting at 200 yards. I still would prefer a scope. I don't like wounding anything.

What is going to be the better route to go? Cost still counts on my budget.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:58 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Mauser or Savage as a start? (first accurate rifle)

This thread in another subforum should answer your question:

Cheap Long range Rig
Old 02-06-2013, 10:06 AM

I've seen old mausers selling at $300 and complete used Savage 11 or magnum series also selling at around the same price even with mounts and a scope (probably scopes not being worth much but you never know what you'll find).

I'd like to buy once and have something I can build from should I need to. But I'd love to have something good and usable right away if it's going to be good quality. Ultimately I still want the best piece to work from. And I don't mind upgrading triggers, barrels, etc down the road.

I don't know a ton about Mauser actions vs Savage actions. That's my biggest question mark at this point.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777funk View Post
I had a Mosin Nagant for a while and could get 2" groups at 100 yards with surp ammo, an ATI scope mount, and a cheap BSA 22LR scope shooting from a truck hood resting on a boat cushion. The one deer I shot with that gun went down without one step. This year I missed one with the Mosin at 175 yards or so and bad quality SP hunting ammo.

I have moved on from that and it's time to build or buy something a little better. I'd like to either buy a Savage or Mauser and shoot it as is and build from there if I'm not satisfied. I don't mind working on my own stuff but I'm not a gun-smith either. It seems like with the right jig a scope mount can be drilled and tapped on the Mauser. I don't really plan on using irons on either but that could change if I can learn to shoot them safely/accurately for hunting at 200 yards. I still would prefer a scope. I don't like wounding anything.

What is going to be the better route to go? Cost still counts on my budget.

If you are going to do it your self on most of what you can do the savage is probably the easest.

The Remington 700 has more choices of accessories (Stocks,triggers ETC)by three to one

Base price is close to the same. The Mauser's make great rifles but require more smithing to
make them accurate and usable (Such as drilling the reciever for scope mounts).Also stocks
are getting harder to find.

The Savage is best for the do it yourself type because you can change barrels/calibers within
limits yourself with a minimum of tools (Barrel wrench and Head space gauge).

Hope this helps.

J E CUSTOM
Old 02-06-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
If you are going to do it your self on most of what you can do the savage is probably the easest.

The Savage is best for the do it yourself type because you can change barrels/calibers within
limits yourself with a minimum of tools (Barrel wrench and Head space gauge).

Hope this helps.

J E CUSTOM
That seems to be a lot of what I've read so far. Thanks for that! As far as quality of the receiver/bolt etc. am I better off with a Mauser than a Savage?

The other thing that's muddying the water for me is that Mauser has a lot of variation from Mfg to Mfg and timeframe.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:20 AM
Platinum Member

I have been told the Weatherby Vanguard for around $400 is a great rifle. For shots in the 200 yard range you are not needing a LR rifle, but an accurate rifle none the less. I have a couple of savages and would definitely recommend the brand. They all shoot quite well. My 204 with factory ammo will shoot .15 groups every time I go out. My 6.5x284 shoots handloads but it is a sub .5 MOA rifle. Savage seems to offer a good rifle with some nice features such as the accutrigger and accustock. The trigger is generally nice enough that you don't need to install a jewel etc.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentM View Post
I have been told the Weatherby Vanguard for around $400 is a great rifle. For shots in the 200 yard range you are not needing a LR rifle, but an accurate rifle none the less. I have a couple of savages and would definitely recommend the brand. They all shoot quite well. My 204 with factory ammo will shoot .15 groups every time I go out. My 6.5x284 shoots handloads but it is a sub .5 MOA rifle. Savage seems to offer a good rifle with some nice features such as the accutrigger and accustock. The trigger is generally nice enough that you don't need to install a jewel etc.

I to like the price and quality of the Vanguard, but if you are a do it your self person be aware of
the fact that the vanguard threads are Metric and most smiths dont have a lathe that will cut
Metric threads. There is a way to do it but it is very labor intensive (Cost more).

The vanguard is a great buy if you just want to buy and shoot but if you want to modify a rifle
or build it yourself it would be one of my last choices/recommendations.

J E CUSTOM