Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Mauser actions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 09:48 PM

Mauser actions

I've got a couple Mauser type rifles laying around. All the builds I've ever seen are on push-feed actions. Is it too much trouble with a mauser?
Old 12-05-2012, 10:31 PM
Gold Member

Re: Mauser actions

Most people think that the controlled round feed of the Mauser will cause eccentric fireforming and it is not as easy or reliable to just drop a round in and close the bolt as it would be in a push feed.
However I have found that accuracy can be every bit as good with a Mauser as many other non custom actions. A good German made one is quite strong and the extractor powerful. What I do is bevel the front edge of the extractor slightly more than standard so in a pinch you can push feed but it's not wise to do it regular .
My long range gun is built on a German made Columbian Mauser 98 , wolf firing pin spring , Timney sportsman trigger and Timney low swing safety.
In 243 and 30-06 . The 243 barrel will shoot under .5 inch groups and sometimes puts the first three in a one hole group.
I am a poor starving ex war veteran so I can't afford custom actions and such which are way better but way expensive also.
One of the secrets to making a Mauser shoot is a strong rigid stock .
Most modern actions are all copies of the Mauser's so why not use a Mauser.
The guys at my range hate my Mauser because when it puts three in one hole from full velocity 243 loads that send up clouds of dust it makes there $ 6000 guns look bad .
Of course it is not as simple as that , I make my own bullets and and I'm a precision handloader and the gun weighs 17 lb.
However it all goes to show that a Mauser 98 action is still as viable as it was 100 years ago . Amazing. I am happy with mine for what it is and what it cost.
However if you are going to pay for lots of new gear and pay a gunsmith to do it all then in the end you may as well add a custom action to the whole setup and be done with it. If you can build it yourself on teh cheap then a Mauser is a good start . I am pleased with mine .
Old 12-05-2012, 10:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkpile View Post
I've got a couple Mauser type rifles laying around. All the builds I've ever seen are on push-feed actions. Is it too much trouble with a mauser?
At one time almost all custom rifles were built on Mauser actions.

They still make beautiful custom rifles.

The extractor can be modified to function like a push feed.

PM Shortgrass and talk to him, He is one of the best and knows a lot about Mauser's.

J E CUSTOM
Old 12-06-2012, 06:08 AM
Platinum Member

One of my favorite rifles is a custom 98 Brno action with featherweight Douglas barrel in 7mm-08 with Timney trigger and Buehler safety, Lee Six sporter stock. It is topped with a Burris mini 2-7 scope. It is still controlled feed. I simply put 4 in the magazine, chamber the top shell, and it works fine.

The key is getting a strong Mauser action. Some were built with inferior metals, and will not take a lot of pressure. You can google search this. The only drawback after that is weight. The 98 is too heavy for a light carry rifle, as I found out. But the accuracy is great.

Last edited by Gene; 12-06-2012 at 06:09 AM. Reason: spell
Old 12-06-2012, 09:21 AM
Platinum Member

As to the caliber you can use depends on which actions you have. ONLY the Model 98 large ring is suitable for pressures over 66,000 CUP. The lock time is a bit slow but you can make a good hunting rifle out of them. There is a reason that you don't see them on the bench rest circuit.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:30 AM
Silver Member

Since you have them, i would definitely use them. But I wouldn't buy one to build off of.
By the time you modernized it, you would have the price of a used modern action. My .02

Hey now, one time i reached down to pet a little dog and it was a 5lbs squirrel - Si Robertson
Old 12-06-2012, 07:58 PM
Gold Member

many of my rifles are built on Mauser, as a matter of fact my long range hunting rifle is a MKX Mauser in 7mmRM

.270's

300wm

308's

35 Whelen

6.5x55
Rakkasan

U.S. Army Sniper
"Opening Minds Worldwide"