Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Matchkings for hunting??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2001, 06:15 PM
PUBLISHER

Re: Matchkings for hunting??

I 'spose you're hoping to get a big one next time! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 11-28-2001, 07:19 PM
Platinum Member

Good bear to say the least.
Nice going.

DC
Old 11-28-2001, 08:41 PM
Platinum Member

I came close this year, one was feeding on a carcass down in the swamp below when I was 1000' up the mountain. The wind was blowing about 10mph so I passed on the shot, no I'm just kiddin. We went down and around to the other side, where a trail comes into the swamp 50yds away from the carcass. It was getting near dark when we got there and wasn't able to see him but he was still there making plenty of noise about 50yds off and then 10yds into the alders.

I would have went in on him but my 9yr old daughter was with me so we headed back to camp. She insisted on a BIG fire that night. We were camped on the hill about 700yds off. We never seen him again but thats usually the case. His tracks were everywhere we went though and about 2" larger than my size 11 boot.

When we left we followed his tracks for ten miles down the sand bar to Jim Creek where he went to feed on salmon one night. His tracks went about 8 miles back up again. So far I've only come close, but some day I'll get a chance at another grizz. I still out number him in moose but he out numbers me in EVERTHING else.

My brother just snared a 7'8" black wolf near a den he found 5 wolves to be using last weekend.
Old 11-29-2001, 12:19 AM
Bronze Member

I tried a-max this year for the first time on deer. Very nice bullet seemed to expand nicely. 178 grn on whitetail. MK on smaller criters like ground hog, and coyotes work great. I have not tried them on larger animals yet. I plan to though.

[ 11-28-2001: Message edited by: Steve in Mi ]
Old 11-29-2001, 08:40 AM
Bronze Member

Let me draw the conclusion from Brent's charging bear story, that he skillfully left for the reader to draw.

The shooter was using a 300 gr. Nosler, he does not say partition but that is all Nosler makes in 300 gr. This is a bullet that has made it's reputation for reliability and not failing on tough critters. He still had to shoot the bear 7 times before it stopped. The last one he had to make sure that he hit the spine and get a central nervous system stoppage. This he did at 20 ft.,...THAT'S 20 FT.

Sometimes all the organ and tissue damage in the world will not stop quickly an adrenaline charged animal. We can speak of double lung shots, broken shoulders, and exit wounds, and they all have their merit, but if you EVER think you might find yourself in the above situation, MAKE SURE you have something reliable and that will penetrate in the chamber.