Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

MatchKings ~ Accurate?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2003, 10:14 AM
Silver Member

Re: MatchKings ~ Accurate?

LOL!!

Excellent recall [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-26-2003, 01:57 AM

LOL [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Ahh, the thing about the young girl who smoked a fawn at 750 yards, when she couldn't remove the safety? Yes, like I said, no talent. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I loaded up the last of my MatchKings today, and tried them tonight with my rifle wearing the diff. stock.

I went with H4895 and Varget.

Varget went alright at 100 yards, 1.36". H4895 went better, 1.32" (but 2 were in .11"). I backed off to 335 yards.

My first 335 yard group with H4895 went into 1.83", which I thought was damn good. My second group went into a tiny 0.63" [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] By far the smallest group I've fired past 100 yards. Almost as small of a group that this factory tube has shot at any range! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I used the last of my Varget loads to ring the gong 6 outta 6 times.

Just when I find a sweet load, I'm all outta MatchKings! [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

[ 06-26-2003: Message edited by: todbartell ]
Old 06-26-2003, 02:04 AM

338-378 ,

I'm not anti-long range hunting. It just seemed like it pretty easy with the tripod bench set-up. And the custom guns and scopes, precision handloads, etc. It really takes alot of the human element out of it. If I was shooting a blue printed action, Hart barrel, McMillian stocked rifle that weighs 15 lbs+, I might not of been searching for help with MatchKings. But I'm not. I'm shooting a factory rifle. Pencil thin factory tube. "Cheap" Bushnell scope. Factory trigger, adjusted, but not a Shilen of Timney, etc. No fancy benchrest, just sand bags. The rifle weighs 5 lbs., 13 ozs. w/o scope & rings. That is pretty hard to hold steady, I'm sure you'd agree. I wish I could have the equipment alot of you guys have. But I guess I will make do with what I got.
Old 06-26-2003, 07:29 AM
Platinum Member

Tod

"It really takes alot of the human element out of it." ??????

First----This is a "Longrange hunting" forum.

Second---Your comment about "no talent" and taking the "human element" out of it has no place here.

To explain further.
The talent was in preperation of the hunt long before that trigger was pulled.
It takes years to understand and apply the longrange hunting ideas of killing game.
Many of us have hunted this way for years and understand how it's done. We also have spent large sums of money to stay up with the sport and can kill the game very cleanly at ranges people think and argue,is impossible.

We all have those factory, pencil thin barrel guns laying around and know what the differance is of accuracy potential between a good custom setup. We carry those factory jobs when we want to take a walk and get some exercise and know that the range will probably not be over 300 yards, sometimes it is a tad further though.

As per the girl not knowing the safety---She was instructed how to keep the cross hair on the animal, don't bump the bench or move the rifle, how to squeeze the trigger properly, don't take her eye out of the scope in case the animal ran at all and many more items before she ever was allowed near that rifle.
The good thing about it was, the safety was "on".

These fellows are making a video to show and help other longrange hunters in the "art" of LR hunting. I feel they have done that and anyone who has not seen the video should if they are an interested LR hunter in the making.

If you keep watching this forum, you will see many excellent comments concerning the Longrange way and equipment to use.
This is the way most of us hunt and enjoy and it's NOT as easy as one may think.
The ballistic preperation alone is something most people don't even think about who have never done it.
Knowing your equipment at the different ranges is a must and a good understanding of bullet potential is extremely important.

For most of us who started with those factory pencil thin barrels and killed many head of game with them when the shots were close, find that those days were easier then the longrange way. It's MUCH harder placing a bullet on game from 750 to 2000 yards then it is at 100 to 300 with a factory rifle.

Been there done that. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Later
DC

[ 06-26-2003: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]
Old 06-26-2003, 10:00 AM

todbartell,
Ya know todbartell you may think that seeing a 10 year old girl take her first deer at long range is "disgusting" but I'll tell you something partner I wouldn't have exchanged that moment for all the tea in China. You need to learn a little humility.
Maybe you'll understand someday if someone starts barkin about YOUR little girl.
Oh yeah and tod, would it make ya feel better if I told ya we're killin **** out past 500yrds with H&R(youth model) single shots topped with 4x (tasco) scopes. Total Price: $235.00. total weight 6lbs.

[ 06-26-2003: Message edited by: 338-378 ]
Old 06-26-2003, 10:18 AM
Platinum Member

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-26-2003, 10:50 AM
Platinum Member

Todbartell

Your mountain rifle is not going to routinely group under 1" unless it is an exceptional gun, (having had several). However, they tend to tighten up a bit with bedding rcvr and 1st 2" of barrel and taking the pressure point out of the front.

Assume you are talking hunting deer size game, so I would pick a good hunting bullet in the 120 range such as a ballistic tip or partition and working on one load with a temperature insensitive powder. Sounds like you already have a great hunting load, so what are you realistically trying to achieve. You are never going to get that gun to .5" and you are never going to shoot it at 1000 and that has nothing to do with you, just the guns capabilities in its present chamber and barrel configuration.

You have a very good walk around hunting rifle that will never give match grade accuracy as that is not what it was designed for. Do not waste time and money trying to make it do that. Pick one very good hunting bullet that will consistently give good hunting and you already have it.

That means at 400 yards you are still into a 4-6" groups which is great for a deer sized animal if you do your part.

BH