Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Mark V Weatherby Trigger?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2010, 01:50 PM
Gold Member

Mark V Weatherby Trigger?

I see there is quite a few guys around that have customs built on weatherby actions. Are you guys still using the stock weatherby trigger or did you pick up an after market? I adjusted mine down as far as it goes and its still a little to heavy. Iv heard of getting a new spring or shortening the stock one. Thanks
Old 05-18-2010, 02:44 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Mark V Weatherby Trigger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovastafford View Post
I see there is quite a few guys around that have customs built on weatherby actions. Are you guys still using the stock weatherby trigger or did you pick up an after market? I adjusted mine down as far as it goes and its still a little to heavy. Iv heard of getting a new spring or shortening the stock one. Thanks
Most of the Weatherby triggers are good ,Some are very good and a few just can't be adjusted to be consistant.

I allways try to adjust first and then mess with the springs, but sometimes even with the right spring and trigger weight they are still inconsistent. So then I buy a Timney and they work
great and are fully adjustable.

I have some great Weatherby triggers on Lot's of rifles and a few that are just for parts because
nothing could be done to make them usable.

Try the springs first and if you are not happy with it buy a Timney.

J E CUSTOM
Old 05-18-2010, 03:01 PM
Platinum Member

I have no where near the experience as JE does but I have had 100% success with the factory parts. By clipping 2 coils and using 1/4 turn of sear engagement I can get right down to 6-7 ounces. I have only run into consistancy when the spring rate was too soft. The stock spring works well when shortened enough to allow actual adjustment. Otherwise they bottom out at 3 pounds. Once adjustable my personal preference is to set them at 15-16 ounces and right there they are very nice and repeatable as well.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:42 AM
Gold Member

I just checked out the timney on midway and it looks pretty sweet and the price isn't all that bad. I think I might get it instead of messing with the stock one. Thanks
Old 05-19-2010, 12:57 AM
Gold Member

I bought it, I did a little more searching around and found you can get them directly from timney for 30 bucks cheaper and they preset the weight for you before they send it which I thought was pretty cool. Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 05-19-2010, 09:35 PM

I'm slowly converting all my weatherby triggers to Timney. I've found them to work very well and very happy with their performance. If you don't want to mess around with springs and stuff for the weatherby, just upgrade and don't look back
Old 05-20-2010, 08:30 AM
Platinum Member

Just how light are you guys looking to go? I thout 6-7 ounces was pretty light.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.