Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Mark V in 270wby -what barrel length?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2005, 07:10 AM
Bronze Member

Mark V in 270wby -what barrel length?

Thanks to all who responded to my questions about my 270wby. Now that I'm thinking I'll keep the gun and have it rebarreled I have a question about barrel length. I know it needs to have at least a 26" barrel. But what about a 28"? Would I gain anything in the velocity department by going two inches longer? Or am I so close to the point of diminishing returns that the extra weight wouldn't be worth it?

The gun will be primarily for hunting open country, so I'm not too worried about the longer barrel catching on things. And I'm a big enough guy that the extra weight doesn't bother me too much. But I would want to make sure that there would be a point in having the extra inches.

Thanks,

Ben
Old 01-01-2005, 05:31 PM
Gold Member

Re: Mark V in 270wby -what barrel length?

The .270 WBY will certainly gain velocity with a longer barrel! I have one built on Sako action with Douglas air ga
barrel 28" has a bit of free bore, gets good velocity and superb accuracy.Ben go with the longest barrel you are comfortable carrying, I wish i had a 30" barrel on mine.
Old 01-01-2005, 06:01 PM
Platinum Member

I think all the Weatherby's up to through 340 will benefit big time with a 30" barrel. I was kind of hoping you were going to give up on it and sell it cheap. Anybody else have a Mark V they hate? I'm starting a Weatherby rescue for unwanted Weatherby's. I will see to it they get a good home.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 01-01-2005, 08:03 PM
Bronze Member

Hired Gun,

I may be thinking about selling it. If you're interested shoot me an email at bgbadben@sover.net.

Ben
Old 01-02-2005, 05:42 AM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
I was kind of hoping you were going to give up on it and sell it cheap. Anybody else have a Mark V they hate? I'm starting a Weatherby rescue for unwanted Weatherby's. I will see to it they get a good home.

[/ QUOTE ]

HG,

I was kinda' hoping for the same thing. We need to start saving all these porr fellows from the innaccurate Weatherby's. No one deserves those things, just ship all those abandoned/unwanted rifles to me and I'll make sure their taken care of.

To answer Ben's question, I would probably go in the 28-30" range.

Jim