Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Manners vs McMillan stocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2013, 11:35 AM
Silver Member

Manners vs McMillan stocks

I'm having some accurizing work done on my Rem 700 22-250. It has a sporter barrel and what some people call a "plastic milk jug" or "tupperware" stock. I'll be using it as a carry rifle and a "call'um up" coyote rifle with shots from 50 to 300 or 400 yards. If the accurizing work doesn't get me the accuracy (.5 to .625") I'm looking for, I'm considering putting on a custom barrel, #4 or #5, and a new stock.

One gunsmith recommended either a Manners or McMillan stock. I've looked at a Manners MCS T and a MCS EH-2 as well as McMillan sporter Rem varmint and M40A1 HTG. A person at Stocky's stocks said any of these 4 would work just fine. I've done the searches on this forum and on other forums and both brands are highly regarded.

The Manners stocks come with an aluminum chassis and IMHO the McMillan appearance is a little better.

Other than personal preference, can you help me decide on a stock???
Old 12-12-2013, 02:37 PM
Gold Member

Re: Manners vs McMillan stocks

Those 4 are all excellent choices and I don't think you could go wrong with any of them.

But, if you would like, as an option, something a fair bit less expensive I'd suggest looking in the classifieds for a short action HS Precision take off stock. They can usually be found for around $225ish in near new condition. All of them will need to be at least skim bedded so that part would be a wash.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:07 PM
Bronze Member

I've had both and both are very nice. But I prefer the finish of the Manners, it is much more durable. The McMillian chipped around sharp corners, like the barrel channel and the opening for the bottom metal. I think the HS stock is also a good value. After trying several manufacters and styles, i have replaced all my stocks to either a MCS-T or HS. For best accuracy, I always have a stock bedded.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:52 PM
Platinum Member

If I was going to use a #4 or #5 barrel, I'd scratch the Manners MCS-T and the McMillan HTG off the list. I'm not sure what other McMillan stock you are talking about.

A Manners comes with or without a chassis.