Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Manners stock needs bedding, barrel contour?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2009, 09:22 PM
Silver Member

Manners stock needs bedding, barrel contour?

Got a call from gunsmith today and mentioned to me my new Manners stock inlet does not fit my barrel perfect and will have to build up the areas for a better fit.

I figured when you ordered a barrel and told them #3 contour, the stock would be cut real close to fit the barrel.

Gunsmith say's no big deal he will add epoxy in places to fill the gaps. Is this common ?
Old 05-29-2009, 09:56 PM

Re: Manners stock needs bedding, barrel contour?

I purchased a Manners GAT stock for a custom .338 Remington Ultra Mag I built this past winter. The barrel was from Lilja so I sent the folks at Manners the diagrams and dimentions from the Lilja web page for the barrel I had purchased. The stock arrived and it fit perfect. Sorry yours didn't fit so good. I did the same thing when I purchased a stock form McMillian and again received a very good fitting stock.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:54 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slg888 View Post
Got a call from gunsmith today and mentioned to me my new Manners stock inlet does not fit my barrel perfect and will have to build up the areas for a better fit.

I figured when you ordered a barrel and told them #3 contour, the stock would be cut real close to fit the barrel.

Gunsmith say's no big deal he will add epoxy in places to fill the gaps. Is this common ?
Did you specify to Manners what brand the #3 contour barrel was...each brand is a little different...
Old 05-30-2009, 11:25 PM
Silver Member

Talked with Manners today, and reason gunsmith is adding epoxy to fill the gaps is due to cutting some of the shank off as I requested. He said its no big deal and is common sometimes.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:20 AM
Platinum Member

I would have the gunsmith finish building the rifle, and then send it to Manners to reinlet the barrel channel to 0.050 clearance. I had to do this on a 7 STW I had built last year. The stock was inletted for a Varmint contour, but my barrel was 0.700 at muzzle. Sent it in, and Manners added material to the barrel channel and repainted the stock for me.