Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

the magnums:short/long

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2004, 05:21 PM

the magnums:short/long

i'm still kinda new here and this has probably been discussed before...
the short action mags sure are popular, but are they all that much better than regular mags. i'm basically talking about the 7wsm and 300wsm or the saum's of the same caliber. i'm looking to get a long range gun, and i already have a 7mag (not long range) and lots of brass and supllies. is it worth buying or building a 7wsm in a long range configuration, or will it be fine to get a "regular" 7mag. i got my eye on a savage 112vbss in the "regular" 7mag, but i'm just not sure what to do. maybe i am too practical and should start over with something totally different.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:52 AM
Silver Member

Re: the magnums:short/long

.. As far as I could tell there's not that big as difference till ya get to the large for caliber bullets (7Mag vs. 7WSM).. And then it's really not enough to worry over.. I think around 100fps.. Whoop-t-doo [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] .. Pick what ya like the looks of and have at it..
.. Lots of good practice with what's in hand will probably beat a new cartridge anyhow..
.. But hey, pick your own fun..!! I seem to have as much fun conjuring rifles as shooting them..!! d:^) JiNC
Old 03-18-2004, 08:15 AM
Silver Member

part of the argument for short mags are the short more rigid actions and the non belted case and on avg. they burn about 7% less powder to do the same job. But you'll have problems loading the larger bullets in the short case.

Trade offs! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-18-2004, 08:20 AM

is there any trouble loading the larger bullets in the long cases? also, give opinions on the savage 112bvss if you have any.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:29 AM

My oppinion of the Savage guns are good , the actions are stronger than the rem700 and are easier to get to shoot. If that gun is a good price jump on it !! , after you get bored with the 7mag you can rebarrel it for about $250.

I know a guy that is a die hard Rem 7 mag fan
he uses his for everything from Elk to Praire dogs. The short mags are a little more effecient but you can still get great accuracy from the long mags.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:05 AM
Silver Member

I think the short mags give you two advantages.
First, efficiency. With a short mag they will perform as well as a bigger magnum with less powder.
Second, a tendency toward better accuracy. Pretty much any cartridge can be made accurate, but the short mags tend to be inherently more accurate. Whether it is because of shorter, stiffer actions, the overall efficiency causes less of a velocity spread or that a shorter case can tend to deal with headspace better, it is all debatable.

The issue with larger bullets is due to short actions. To get them to fit in the magazine you end up seating them very deep. If you choose to single feed and seat to the lands with most factory barrels you can shoot big bullets.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:27 AM

if i was to get bored with the 7mag, what exactly is involved with rebarrelling for a different caliber and cartridge?