Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Magnetospeed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2013, 01:03 PM
Platinum Member

Magnetospeed

I come home yesterday to a box full of goodies from my good buddy Brian over at Shoot-Long | Long Range Rifles, Long Range Shooting and the most exciting part was this!

It looks like its going to be a nice little addition to the family. there were also a bunch of bullets, solvent, a custom gun case etc.. I will post results once I get around to trying the new Chronograph out.

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 10-08-2013, 01:17 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Magnetospeed

I hope you like it as much as I do mine Mike. I just used it this morning on a 6.5 x 284 I was dialing in. At 700 yards I was hitting the 3/4 moa target. I removed the MS and still was on. I could not tell the difference. This barrel is braked and is .700 at the muzzle. I am sure some light tubed rifles would be effected, but none of my long range rigs have been. Sure is nice to toss that small box in the back seat when going to shoot. Then have the ability to be checking velocities in just a minute or two. Not to mention the reading not being effected by light angles.

Good luck and enjoy.

Jeff
Old 10-08-2013, 01:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
I hope you like it as much as I do mine Mike. I just used it this morning on a 6.5 x 284 I was dialing in. At 700 yards I was hitting the 3/4 moa target. I removed the MS and still was on. I could not tell the difference. This barrel is braked and is .700 at the muzzle. I am sure some light tubed rifles would be effected, but none of my long range rigs have been. Sure is nice to toss that small box in the back seat when going to shoot. Then have the ability to be checking velocities in just a minute or two. Not to mention the reading not being effected by light angles.

Good luck and enjoy.

Jeff

the fact that light angles doesnt affect it is what sold me. I dont mind the set up of my other chrono's but this one will for sure be nice in ease of use. I look forward to comparing it to my other chronos to see how the numbers jive

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 10-08-2013, 01:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkamike View Post
the fact that light angles doesnt affect it is what sold me. I dont mind the set up of my other chrono's but this one will for sure be nice in ease of use. I look forward to comparing it to my other chronos to see how the numbers jive
Right on!

Jeff
Old 10-08-2013, 01:46 PM
Silver Member

Mike, Jeff,

Have either of you experienced a 'lean in' condition when the MagnetoSpeed is mounted on the barrel? If so, how did you adjust the MS to get the sensor deck parallel to the bore line?

I tried to shim with some card stock (file folder) and succeeded in getting everything parallel. Unfortunately, the loss of V-block surface contact friction means re-setting up after each shot.

Pete

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. -- Aesop
Old 10-08-2013, 05:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E Coyote View Post
Mike, Jeff,

Have either of you experienced a 'lean in' condition when the MagnetoSpeed is mounted on the barrel? If so, how did you adjust the MS to get the sensor deck parallel to the bore line?

I tried to shim with some card stock (file folder) and succeeded in getting everything parallel. Unfortunately, the loss of V-block surface contact friction means re-setting up after each shot.

Pete
Never had a problem. I just use the alignment bar to adjust to the bottom of bore, (or close) and go. Mine has worked very well.

Jeff
Old 10-08-2013, 06:22 PM
Gold Member

I keep a piece of paper with the instructions for notes of what stacks of spacers are used with each rifle. Makes for even faster set up.