Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

magneto speed help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 04:23 PM
Platinum Member

Re: magneto speed help

I don't use the rubber pad, on a barrel it seems to make things worse to me but I can see on a large tube like a suppressor that it would be helpful.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 09-09-2013, 09:56 PM
Gold Member

I could be wrong, I thought it actually stated somewhere in Dir. to use it. I use it every time , also get thumb screw tight and have never had a problem on 6 diff. rifles.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member

Your supposed to use it with a suppressor as a heat shield for the strap, I don't think it matters if you use it or not on a barrel, I personally don't because it tends to give the strap to much traction and when I tighten it the bayo rotates a little.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 09-09-2013, 10:35 PM
Silver Member

I think mine came with the plastic adjuster so that when behind the gun if hung off to the left side. It will never stay tight if it sits there. Make sure it is off to the right and closer to the metal adjuster with the screw.
Romans 12:12
www.projectsavage.com
Old 09-09-2013, 10:48 PM
Gold Member

Be careful with a heavy tapered barrel as well. Had the bullets just touch the end of the bayonet. Had to winch it pretty tight.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dig View Post
Be careful with a heavy tapered barrel as well. Had the bullets just touch the end of the bayonet. Had to winch it pretty tight.
+1. This makes me nervous so I always check and double-check. I have found that even with more separation than specified (ie mounted lower than the black bar spacer even with bottom of bore) the unit still reads fine. When using the spacers I always err on the side of "too far" vs "too close"...
Old 09-10-2013, 03:52 PM
Gold Member

The way I mount mine is to make sure the barrel is level using a small magnetic level stuck on barrel. After installing the MS I put spacer bar on bayonet and align just below muzzle and the put the level on the bar to make sure it is level. Works for me, and I don't have to worry about shooting the bayonet.