Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Magnaport vs Muzzle brake

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2010, 08:13 PM
Platinum Member

Magnaport vs Muzzle brake

Is Magnaporting effective? Was it just a trend? I havent seen a post yet on this forum mentioning Magnaporting.(NOTE: I have not ''searched'' it). Yet Brakes are mentioned quite frequently. Ive seen numorous therads praising 308 Nate's brakes, and others. Seeing as how this forum has some of the most ''finnicky'' shooters who really know thier business thats gotta say something for 308 Nates, and others, ability to turn out a quality product.
I will be looking into one or the other for my 300wby.So heres my question;
Asside from drilling holes in your bbl vs screwing a brake onto it,
What is the difference in function,effectiveness,and noise, Why one vs the other? & Does screwing a cap on the bbl in place of a brake while hunting change yourP.O.I.?
I appreciate your comments. Thanks

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 02-22-2010, 08:36 PM
Gold Member

Re: Magnaport vs Muzzle brake

It is effective at reducing recoil, but you effectively lose 1.5" of barrel length, and it is also very loud with a very painful "CRACK".
I've shot magnaports, browning boss, kdf brakes, and Holland QD brakes, Hands Down the holland is my favorite and its not as painful to the ears to shoot. Magnaporting is louder with hearing protection than a Holland is without it.
RR
Old 02-22-2010, 09:55 PM
SPONSOR

Not a mag-na-port fan myself.
Use a good solid bottomed brake.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:09 PM
Platinum Member

Given the option, go with a brake. When you go out hunting you can put the "thread protector" on instead of the brake and save your guide's ears. One of the most common complaints by guides -> muzzle brakes.

Generally speaking the brake should "only" be used during practice and you should hunt without it. You won't notice a shot or two of full recoil unless you're shooting a really, really big monster and your 300 WBy doesn't fall into that category.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:03 PM
SPONSOR

If you chose to hunt with your brake off, you will need to check your POI and the load itself.
With the brake off the harmonics of your barrel will change.
Just something to be aware of if you choose this route.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:22 AM
Platinum Member

I have found that magnaporting will help keep the muzzle from flipping up and will cut felt recoil some but a break really cuts the felt recoil much more. Both are loud and you should use ear protection with them. I have noticed that some pistols that have magnaport seem to recoil more straight back into the web of my hand more that when not magnaported.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:53 AM
Bronze Member

Well put RT2506, the Magnaport reduces muzzle rise by redirecting muzzle preasure upward. A brake reduces felt recoil by allowing muzzle gasses to SLAM into the perpendicular surfaces of the holes or slots. The amount of reduction is a function of the surface area encountered by the gasses.