Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

M77VT torque specs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 07:22 AM
Platinum Member

Re: M77VT torque specs

I cannot imagine 95 in/lb. Must be a mistake. I would ask another person at Ruger..... I'd be willing to bet you'd have a heck of a time keeping a standard flat bit in the slot with that kind of torque. I have difficulty keeping it in a Mark X with 45 in/lb!

A friend that shoots 1000 BR starts out with 35 in/lb rear and 40 in/lb front and tweaks some from there. He can actually fine tune the groups by changing the torque. It would seem every BR rifle has its favorite torque.

We both use in/lb torque wrenches on our hunting rifles. If it is a laminate or synthetic that is bedded we run as high as 55 in/lb front and rear. Some respond well to lower settings. If a rifle is pillar bedded I doubt you'd see any differences with higher (than 55) torque settings.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:49 PM
Platinum Member

Re: M77VT torque specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZShooter View Post
I cannot imagine 95 in/lb. Must be a mistake. I would ask another person at Ruger..... I'd be willing to bet you'd have a heck of a time keeping a standard flat bit in the slot with that kind of torque. I have difficulty keeping it in a Mark X with 45 in/lb!

A friend that shoots 1000 BR starts out with 35 in/lb rear and 40 in/lb front and tweaks some from there. He can actually fine tune the groups by changing the torque. It would seem every BR rifle has its favorite torque.

We both use in/lb torque wrenches on our hunting rifles. If it is a laminate or synthetic that is bedded we run as high as 55 in/lb front and rear. Some respond well to lower settings. If a rifle is pillar bedded I doubt you'd see any differences with higher (than 55) torque settings.
AZ, I have to agree, that dos seem to be high. That is nearly 10 ft/ lbs, on a slot head, like you said. If it were Allen, or Torx, no problem.
And I know what you mean about being able to "tune " it changing the torque. I have gotten to be anal about returning to the correct torque, after dis assembly. I also check it at the range, and when I go hunting.
I may have to do some additional checking, and that is NOT to say that I don't believe what I was told earlier in this thread. Thanks for the feedback!
P/S, I have it set now at 45 in/ lbs., and the center screw just snug.