Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

M-70 Extreme Weather SS or sendero

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2012, 09:21 AM
Gold Member

Re: M-70 Extreme Weather SS or sendero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinjax View Post
Honestly , my new savage was a flawless tac driver right out of the box but you asked about the sedero and extreme weather ss. If you wan't the best bang for your buck I would get a model 16 savage in 260 rem. and have a deer killing machine without any drama.
Makes sense to me.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:47 PM
Bronze Member

I have a savage 260 now Im going to be puting it up for sale. I don't like savages action. I know they work good and shoot I just don't like them.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:07 AM

If you're not obligated to stainless steel and heavy barrels you may check out the Model 70 Extreme Sporter. They're offered at Sportsmans Warehouse. They only come in magnum calibers and are blued versions of the extreme weather. Same gun for 2/3's the money. I got one in 300 wsm for $650 and the MOA trigger, while set a little heavy by the factory, is night and day crisper than the previous model 70 trigger I had on an older shadow model. It's definitely the best buy in my collection of bolt actions. Recoil is not as bad as I had anticipated. Trigger wt measures near 5 lbs but you'f never know it from the feel. I've yet to change the wt of pull.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:11 PM
Platinum Member

The coyote light looks like it could be a consideration too.

The 7mag isn't bad at all for recoil, I shot out the sporter barrel on mine, but I did find a few folks that where scared of it. The only load I found that had what I though was much recoil was 175gr partition and a full load of RL22.

I wouldn't buy a Remington 700 unless I planned to change out the trigger group immediately.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 09-07-2012, 02:05 PM

On second thought regarding a model 70 "extreme sporter", particularly the 300 wsm mentioned above: When I'm trying to zero a scope or establish a gun's accuracy, I find the less I move around or change set up between shots, the more consistent my results are. So I don't switch out guns between shots, rather I wait until finishing the group. Whereas I wouldn't describe the ES barrel as pencil thin, due to magnum limitations, one shot definitely heats things up and it can be a long wait between shots at the bench waiting for the barrel to cool. Unless you're shooting in a pretty cold climate it takes more than a few minutes for that barrel to get back to "warm".
Old 09-07-2012, 05:00 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bludog View Post
Looking to buy a new bolt gun. Ive been looking at winchesters Model 70 Extreme Weather SS in 7mm-08 no one around me has one to look at. I would like to know how heavy the barrel is. I don't like penicl barrels and it's hard to tell in pictures.
I've also been looking at a sendero in 7mm mag but I'm worried about weight and recoil I've never shot a 7mm mag. how is the recoil when shooting off a bench? also my shoulder is not that great from a motorcycle crash.

I have two Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STWs.

They do not have a muzzle brakes on them and they are very accurate. I think the weight and recoil is quite manageable. I would think the 7mm rem mag would have less recoil than my 7mm STWs.

Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope

Remington 700 LSS .257 Weatherby Magnum
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope
Old 09-09-2012, 03:28 PM
Bronze Member

i have an extreme weather 70 in 270 and the 3 shot is always 2 inches...i also have the sendero in 7rem mag and shoots decent with 7 in group at 700 yrds with factory HSM 168 berger vld. Recoil is not very noticible.