Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

M-70 Extreme Weather SS or sendero

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2012, 11:20 PM
Bronze Member

M-70 Extreme Weather SS or sendero

Looking to buy a new bolt gun. Ive been looking at winchesters Model 70 Extreme Weather SS in 7mm-08 no one around me has one to look at. I would like to know how heavy the barrel is. I don't like penicl barrels and it's hard to tell in pictures.
I've also been looking at a sendero in 7mm mag but I'm worried about weight and recoil I've never shot a 7mm mag. how is the recoil when shooting off a bench? also my shoulder is not that great from a motorcycle crash.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:22 AM
Silver Member

Re: M-70 Extreme Weather SS or sendero

The model 70 extreme weather is a very nice rifle and the 7mm-08 is a great round for deer sized game to 500yrds. The 7mm rem mag is a mule kicking sob on an unbraked sporter weight rifle. I am not impressed with the new remington rifles. The last one I got was a cdl sf and it was junk. The finish on the stock bubled , scope mounting holes out of alainment , throat a mile long and trigger would not go less than 2.9lbs. All I had to do to make it right was buy a new stock and an eextened magazine box and a new trigger. I love it now but it will be the last remington I will buy. Unless you buy a custom long range rifle with a brake for your shoulder in a big , long range round ,het the 7mm-08 model 70 extreme weather ss. IMHO.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:42 AM
Bronze Member

I like the sendero but don't know if I could buy one after what they did to marlin. Is the barrel on the EW a penicl barrel like on a model 7? or is it a sporter, heavy sporter?
Old 07-27-2012, 12:57 AM
Silver Member

The barrel is a fluted heavy sporter. It is about the same as my cdl sf remington witch is a magnum taper. Remington is run by Cerbus capital management and they are running the quality right out the window. You are right about marlin , destroyed ! On the bright side there will be lots of room for small , quality rifle makers as remington fades away.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:08 AM
Silver Member

I'm tempted to buy a m70 weather extreme myself in 7mm wsm. My problem is that I got moe wants than I got gots ! Might buy it anyway.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:12 AM
Gold Member

I have a Win EW in 338 Win Mag.

Pros:
  • Outside will very nicely finished.
  • 26" barrel.
  • Action is smooth.
  • Lightweight and good recoil pad.
  • Fluting is nice.
  • Stock is nice and rigid.
  • Trigger is great for factory

Cons:
  • Not very accurate. Generally 2+ inches w/factory & reloads. Two shots touching and the next thrown very wide. Load and rifle tuning no help. All screws torqued to spec. and rechecked. Scope confirmed good.
  • Spend case does not eject well (dribbles out) and sometimes stays in the loading port.
  • Magazine box is way to short in this caliber. Virtually no bullet seating adjustment without altering the mag box. Other calibers may not have this problem.
  • Barrel seems skinny for this caliber (.590 at the muzzle).
  • Inside of barrel has a big pit near the end.

Additional $ spent to fix:
  • Extended Magazine Box installed. Gunsmith said he wouldn't do another Winchester again. Apparently Remingtons are easier to modify stock for Extended Mag Boxes.
  • Ejection port on action milled to fix pathetic ejection.
  • New barrel ordered (pending installation) to address poor accuracy.

Notes: Rifle should have been sent back to factory for the big pit inside of barrel & ejection problems but they'll charge you if they don't find anything wrong. Since I called the factory prior to purchase to try to get mag box and throat specs (unavailable) and received assurances of MOA accuracy (no guarantees), I didn't want to pay shipping, insurance and get charged an "inspection fee" by them to tell me there's nothing wrong with it. The mag box is unacceptably short. Accuracy is about 2+ inches at 100 yards and off the target at 300. Other Winchester EW's owners love them and they perform much better but this is my experience. I expected much better for the money.

Remington... I don't know. Just do some research on what they've done to their newly owned/manufactured Marlins. I had some serious problems with mine.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:17 AM
Silver Member

Honestly , my new savage was a flawless tac driver right out of the box but you asked about the sedero and extreme weather ss. If you wan't the best bang for your buck I would get a model 16 savage in 260 rem. and have a deer killing machine without any drama.